Anyone use this charger???

Jonnor

I need a new charger and have been told to buy a Logic RC Fusion Elysium LX60B Pro - strewth, what a name. I'd be grateful if any owners of said device would tell me just how good they are before I open the wallet. There are very few reviews and I always fear they've been written by the retailers' relatives. Thanks.

Advert

What do you intend to use it for Jonnor? Now and into the future...

There's a handy review here by someone we know, not sure if it should be available to read this way but it is.

It looks like it has plenty of features, including being able to use a 12V supply at the field and 240V mains at home.

What would limit it's usefulness for me is that it's charging capacity is only 50W.

Now 50W will charge a 3S 2200mAh LiPo battery or a NiMh receiver battery fine, it will start to struggle if you move up to large LiPo's for large electric models...

Yep, I have one. No problem at all for sport flying needs. I don't charge large capacity Lipos so can't comment how it handles them, typical 3S 2200 MaH are no problem at all. It comes with two balancing boards for different connectors if I remember correctly.

I'm going to buy another as I've sussed how to use the buttons and menu after two years!! It doesn't tell you in the instructions that the number on the top right of the display is the milliamps added (took me a while to suss, that's how thick I am!!)

It's been used at the field but I find balancing the charger, batteries or sometimes a whole aircraft on a hottish car engine tricky! Could convert the crocodile clips to a cigarrette lighter plug but I don't want to overload the car wiring (would probably blow the fuse first though I s'pose).

It would be nice if the 12V input leads were removable, just to make things tidier in the shed, I could cut them off of course.

Pretty sure David Ashby reviewed it in RCM&E and was probably what prompted me to buy it.

GB

Edited By Gary Binnie on 21/04/2012 20:37:16

Gary I use the car cigarette lighter socket ("12V Power" socket in new carsface 5) for all my charging at the field - I have a double socket adapter so I charge Tx, radio and Lipo all at the same time. The sockets have a 30 amp fuse so no chance of blowing it also I've never flattened the car battery yet. In fact new cars very often have a socket fitted in the boot area for powering picnic stuff etc.

Yep, I'm probably being over cautious. I have an early Galaxy and it has two sockets by the tailgate.

I have flattened a battery but I'm pretty sure it was dodgy anyway!!

Tend to slow charge charge everything at home and have spare charged batteries for short evening flying sessions, at the slope I use large capacity Rx batteries and hope that they will last the day (which they generally do).

What a kind lot you are. All the info's most helpful -- and I take the point about the 50 watt limit. Special thanks to Chris for the review link.

And just in case I do eventually use larger batteries -- what would be a good choice charger capable of 80 or so watts? I should tell you I'm a tottering pensioner with a wallet that's very difficult to open....!! Again, thanks.

I prefer a charger that doesn't have the 240V mains facility, this is because it is smaller and lighter. However then, you need a 240V to 12V DC power supply separate to the charger for when you're using it at home. Unless you are happy to run it from quite a big 12V battery...

I too use an iCharger. The 208B in fact, that does up to 8 cells and 350W.

The 250W capable iCharger is available at around £60 see here. (Note I have never used that particular shop so have no knowledge of them. They have other's in the same range too.

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 21/04/2012 18:41:19:

I have the Ethos LX41B too. Use it for charging NiMH and LiPo up to 4 cells. Use it mostly via the mains but have also used it connected to the car battery with no probs.

I have LX41B too, little brother of the one in question, certainly pleased with it. thumbs up

Again thanks for all the input. I've been looking at the iCharger range, particularly the 106B. The price is good for a 250 watt device but RCGroups have over 800 pages on their iCharger forum and that worries me!! If they're complaints and pleas for advice then it aint the charger for this 84 year old PhD failure !!

Which of you is going to say the 106B is a piece of cake, operated by their 5 year old son............? Help guys.

This is the charger I use Jonnor.....200watts & 6S capable it does all I need & all for £40 too.

But I wonder if you are coming at the problem from the wrong direction....as my learned colleague Mr Bott observed in his post what do you want to use it for ...now & in the future..... If you aspire to 10S batteries & larger models then you might want to look at something bigger......