Check my specs please: Buying Multiplex Mentor

Redstorm

Advert

@ Tony Read 2

Well I am new to the hobby hence wanting to get some good advice from the "pro's" and Steve here is a Mentor pilot who has been very patient and helpful so far - sounds like he knows his stuff anyway. He's been flying his Mentor very successfully for two years on a 3536. Looking at the 4 max site, they seem to recommend a 3548 but I am going for the midle ground with a 3542 (although its out of stock at the moment). I tend to prefer to listen to owners / users as they dont have a vested interested in getting you to spend more on a larger motor!

@ Steve

Yeah, I'm not sure that pumping 20A into those batteries (or any of a similar size) could be that good for them. I assume if you charge them at 4A they will take 1 hour to charge? Is that right? If so, is there any benefit to 'slow' charging them, overnight maybe at circa 200mA? in terms of battery life / longevity?

These are the chargers I have been looking at so far. Nothing fancy but cant see the point in spending a fortune to get a 150W or 200W charger if I wont be exceeding 1C charge rates. Unless you feel a more expensive charger will give me other benefits???

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/power-a606-charger-p-404612.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10452__Turnigy_Accucel_6_50W_6A_Balancer_Charger_DE_Warehouse_.html

Can you recommend any other suppliers for the 3542, Steve, Those guys are on backorder and I am keen to stick to your advice re the 5mm shaft size.

I use two similar chargers (B6) and they are fine. Some people reported the voltage readings being out, but the biggest difference between any two cells on mine is 2/100 V, which I am happy with.

You do get better quality for more money, but I don't have any reason to say those are not goos enough.

I always balance my batteries when charging, unless I am in a hurry, so it usually takes around 90 or less minutes to charge at 1C

Posted by Tony Read 2 on 25/04/2012 13:16:38:

I'm reading this post with interest as I've always thought the Mentor would make a great trainer. As a matter of interest how do the power systems recommended above compare with the Multiplex power pack for this model?

The only part of the Multiplex power system I looked at was the price, then I didn't look further.

But I should think theirs will allow enough power for glider towing as well.

Posted by Steve W-O on 25/04/2012 13:41:57:
Posted by Tony Read 2 on 25/04/2012 13:16:38:

I'm reading this post with interest as I've always thought the Mentor would make a great trainer. As a matter of interest how do the power systems recommended above compare with the Multiplex power pack for this model?

The only part of the Multiplex power system I looked at was the price, then I didn't look further.

But I should think theirs will allow enough power for glider towing as well.

Here here

Steve I see the 1250Kv version IS in stock at HK, I was looking at the 1000Kv version merely because it had a lower current draw but then If I am going to get a 50A or 60A ESC I dont suppose it matters, but will this affect the choice of prop, I am guessing so?

Damn this is so frustrating!

I want to fly

on the 1250, a 10X6 would be fine, about 38A and abpout the same thrust.

The 1250 would give you a couple of minutes less duration, but still bewteen 10-15 minutes.

The 1250 could be a better choice, as the prop will have that little bit more ground clearance, and 10X6 props are cheap and easy to get.

The reason I suggest a 5mm shaft is that they are more than twice as strong as a 4mm shaft, just in case clump of grass jumps up in front of you.

Posted by Devon Flyer on 25/04/2012 15:56:14:

Two guys in our club are using THESE motors in Mentors, with great success. One on 3s and one on 4s packs.

5mm shafts. Spares available and only £13.

They are good motors, that is what I am using in my giant Cessna, and spare shafts arrived today.

It would need a 13X7 prop.

It would probably hover on a 14X6 prop, and it certainly would with a 4s battery and the right prop.

Seeing as how the Mentor looks a bit like a Wot4 (to my eyes) has a bigger span and similar weight I'd have said the set up I used to electrify my Wot would be OK. It climbs vertically and gives me at least 12 mins of mixed flying, probably longer, from a 3300Ma 4s.

The list of links is in this thread.

And there's a video of the climb here.

I also bought a cheap Imax balancer charger from GC. It is a fake but seems to do the job OK. It's on the list above too.

It was suggested it might b underpowered, but I'm more than pleased with the results. As I say will climb vertically and takes off in a few feet half throttle.

Hi (again) Steve,

Just looking on HK and GC for a prop, found a Master Airscrew in stock at HK in a 10x6, then whilst looking for a 'spare' (but wanting a different type for testing / experience sake) I read there is a difference between glow/gas props and Electric.

Will the Master airscrew do?

Now looking on GC, do I want a High speed or a SF 3D prop? and what DD and EP, this gets more confusing as you go on

Nearly there!!!

Scratch that. Got a few, I'm bound to stuff one up in the first week, so I got three

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8051__Master_Airscrew_propeller_10x6.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8027__Master_Airscrew_propeller_10x6.html

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/slow-propeller-style-10x6-p-402554.html

One of them will work!!!......... He says in hope.

I'm getting excited now. Hoping for a maiden flight over the bank holiday weekend

Edited By Redstorm on 25/04/2012 18:44:47

Right, that's it!!!

Everything ordered.

Thanks to ALL who posted, its been an education and an adventure.

Although the fun really begins when I start putting it together!!

May have to post pics, will certainly be doing a maiden flight video.

Here's hoping there are some toys for the weekend

@ Steve - Thank you especially for your useful input and assistance

I know you have ordered, but the major difference between an IC propeller and an electric is that the electric ones are generally lighter in construction, and will offer more flex so protecting the motor shaft better.

I have used IC props without problem when I could not get my choice.

You then get two main type of electric prop, direct drive that goes straight on the motor, and SF (slow fly) that are usually powered through a gearbox, The direct drive usually come with a centre that looks almost like a glow prop, with a selection of small plastic rings to fit the prop to the motor adaptor, and SF usually have a smaller centre, with a smaller hole, and quite often a hex hole to fit on the gearbox drive. The SF prop blades are often wider than the direct drive.

You can use the SF props straight on the motor sometimes.

When you look for props, look for "APC type" they are usually about £1, and once balanced work very well.

It may be a good idea o look for a prop balancer as well, about £3-4 for one you hold between your fingers, and about £10 for one that stands on the table.

What you have ordered now will get you flying, and you are off on your learning process, from there you can work out if it flies just how you want, or if you need to make changes, but of course you can fly while waiting.

Hi All

I ordered from Hobby King just recently thinking they were shipping from a warehouse in Germany but having checked the site today after receiving an email it appears they have sent my order from Hong Kong.

Can any of you guys who have used HK before tell me how long stuff normally takes to get here to the UK?

My package is 750g if that helps.

Thanks

Right well a brief update...

Plane received on Friday along with all the kit ordered from GC. Spent most of Friday evening and some of Staurday building the Mentor. Its amazing how addictive and exciting this hobby can be!!

So for those who are intereseted (why I thought anyone would be is beyond me) Here are a couple of shots of her. And yes, I almost managed to get the decals straight too.

Now just waiting for the Motor, Prop and ESC from HK - Hurry up post / customs / etc

So without further ado ....

Multiplex Mentor

MPX Mentor

MPX Mentor

Edited By Redstorm on 29/04/2012 19:42:44

Posted by Redstorm on 27/04/2012 14:55:55:

Hi All

I ordered from Hobby King just recently thinking they were shipping from a warehouse in Germany but having checked the site today after receiving an email it appears they have sent my order from Hong Kong.

Can any of you guys who have used HK before tell me how long stuff normally takes to get here to the UK?

My package is 750g if that helps.

Thanks

An e mail I had today mentioned that they are advertising for staff to work in HK at the moment.

Edited By Bob Moore on 29/04/2012 20:12:09

It certainly is Olly. Trouble is now I am just staring at it willing the package from HK to arrive. I so want to get airborne. Or ieven set up the receiver binding and adjust the throws. I just want to do some more!!!

Talk about delayed gratification. Grrrr

@Bob Moore - Yes, I got the same email too. Helluva relocate!!!!!