Jamara Roo

Advert

Hi, I have built the Hobby King Parkjet II which is pretty much exactly the same plane as your Jamara Roo only for about half the price

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=24344

I used 30min epoxy on mine and it's still going strong, it might be usful to buy a thin carbon rod and re-enforce the Fuselage under the canopy they always tend to break there after a poor hand launch or two.

Hope this helps

I've just built a Skyfun, which I think is the same kit as the Roo, but from a different supplier. I found some forum posts where people recommended Gorilla Glue for it, so I bought a small bottle on Ebay and tried it. It seems very strong, but was a bit tricky to use as it expands quite a lot as it sets. If I did it again I'd use 24-hour epoxy (5-minute won't give you enough working time to align the wings to the fuselage properly).
If you need to use cyano, one of the special foam-safe vareties should be fine, but try it on the box first if in any doubt. Normal cyano will definitely attack it.

I exclusively used 5 minute epoxy on my Roo and it was a fast plane on crazy power. Wasn't a problem for me getting the wings in place, just do them one at a time and hold it for 5 minutes watching the tv

2 hints

1) epoxy the lower motor spreader plate if you're going for big power and possibly even put a layer of carbon of glass fibre under the plate to spread it further

2) sort out some kind of supplementary canopy retaining method otherwise you'll lose it the first time you go fast. I used a carbon rod to go through the fuselage side wall, through the canopy "nose" and out the other side of the fuselage. Job done.

3) if you're going for super fast power swap the elevons for some balsa

Yes Thanks Eamonn, I just noticed it is slightly smaller after I posted on the forum.

Cool though, because I didn't realise HK did a larger version my Parkjet II flys very well and glides in nicely for landings.

Ben B - I totally agree with using Carbon Rods to strengthen the Nose and Fuselage, otherwise they will break fairly soon.

Edited By Tony H on 25/04/2012 16:35:30

In my case the failure point was the motor mount. Looking at the chewed up rear of the plane and rear fins (and pulled through motor mount) leads me to believe that the motor mount pulled through and the motor then shot forwards chewing up the rear of the fuselage and then cracking both fuselage/wing joints which lead to them flying off, pulling off the canopy as the servo leads lifted up.

In practice it was quite spectacular- one minute I was flying a very rapid plane, the next the plane disappeared, to be replaced with the following bits of aerial flotsum

1) two wing halves (seperately)

2) two rear fins (both chewed in half)

3) fuselage

4) canopy

5) battery

6) motor and prop

7) speed controller

The receiver stayed attached to the fuselage and the servos remained in the wings but that was about it.

Perhaps my own fault sticking 1.2kw through it.... But quite spectacular! One minute noisy fast thing, next suddenly quite and tiny pieces raining down.