binding

ross blackwell

Have read a few items on this topic but they were during 2010 which was a little while ago so hope I haven't gone against the grain by starting anew one.Have a spectrum DX6i & AR5200 Rx plus AR6100 The former has L E D which lights up when batt. is plugged in but at no time does it flash?Because the Rx has batt./bind at the same location how can you have both hooked up at the same time.Profound statement you say; the second of my Rx's does not appear to have L E D & again no go with binding(using bind plug)Not sure about location for bind plug but hoping that you clever operators can help. Am particularly concerned about the "non flashing" L E D in AR5200.

Advert

One quick answer. You can plug the battery into any of the ports on the recievers. The +ve and -ve lines. (Black and Red on Futaba wiring) are common in the receiver. It's only the white (sometimes yellow) signal wire which is specific to the channel.

The order is....

1) turn on DX6i and select channel to bind

2) bind plug in bind port on receiver

3) power to receiver via open port

4) turn off Dx6i and turn it on while holding up trainer switch. Display should indicate bind in process. Keep trainer switch held until receiver stops flashing fast and then release it. Don't switch off the receiver immediately. (it might help to have a servo plugged in one of the channels and you can tell if the bind has been successful.)

I don't know the ar6100 but every Spektrum receiver I have seen has an led. ( Just checked this and it should have an LED - it might be dead? I have had a dead ar500 from new  on one occasion) 

If the bind fails, obvious things to check are....

A) The receiver is not too close to the transmitter. I've read this can pose a problem.

B) You have the power to the receiver in round the right way.

BTW When you have set up you model it's a good idea to rebind the receiver. The is essential if during the course of the setup you reverse the throttle channel. If you don't then re-bind your 'failsafe' will be to wide open throttle.

Edited By GrahamC on 03/05/2012 07:49:14

Sounds good Graham,where I may be going wrong is your step one:....and select channel to bind?lease explain?I didn't know a channel on the Tx had to be "selected" for binding purposes?What are your thoughts on the non blinking L E D which is brand new. Has been sitting around for about 12 months & only just opened container.

on my spektrum, the led sequence is

switch on rx - rapid flashing led

switch on Tx in bind mode and Rx led goes to slow flashing

bind completed when led goes steady

john

Edited By John Laird on 03/05/2012 08:39:39

Yes - not very clear I did indeed mean model memory rather than channel, and I think john's explanation of the LED's is better than mine.

If your receiver is dead, then you should be glad you went with Spektrum! Customer service is excellent.

I would suggest you write to Horizon's uk operation, telling them how pleased you are with your DX6i, and how disappointed you were when you tried to bind your unused rx. Admit that you have had it some time, tell them where you bought it (not eBay I hope?) and ask them if they could have a look at it for you. Enclose the receiver in its packaging and send it registered post to them. I would be surprised if you don't have a brand new receiver from them in less than a week.

They are very good about things like this.

If you did buy it off eBay, are you sure it's not a fake?

BTW I am assuming that we are sure that the problem is not with the TX? You have managed to bind the other receiver?

Thanks a lot chapsroblem solved. The U tube x Tim Mackey (was it him?) was the clincher;the thing I'm curious about now is the failsafe thing?Am I at risk (at least the model) of crashing without that? Will check the forum of course.Educating those of us who are slow learners is all a matter of finding the "right recipe"

Ross, you have no greater risk of crashing without a failsafe, providing the radio link is maintained throughout a flight.

The purpose of the failsafe is to reduce the risk to the public in the event of radio failure.

The minimum requirement of this is for the failsafe to close the throttle when the signal is lost.

All Spektrum receivers (I think!) have a built in failsafe, all you have to do is ensure the throttle stick is in the closed or idle position when binding the receiver.

You can go further by positioning the other control surfaces during binding so that when in failsafe you get anything from a gentle descending spiral, to a full blown spin.

A lot will depend on the location/circumstances of your club/flying field.

If in doubt seek advice from another more experienced member

Ross,

you can check for failsafe easily by the following.

after binding and shutting down everything and removing the bind loop - with a servo in the throttle position, swich everything on with the throttle in closed position as per the book. after making sure RX is following the Tx signals (waggle throttle) leave throttle in full open position and switch only the Tx off - Rx will very quickly go to closed failsafe postion. Switch Tx back on and after a brief period the Rx will make contact again and recover the full open position of the throttle.

NB There is a footnote in the failsafe instructions for the 6dxi that the failsafe position for the throttle should be set during binding by leaving the stick in the appropriate position ( sounds painful )

I do this check after each bind and also at home before flying sessions.

john

I introduced the failsafe issue in this thread.

On Spectrum gear, you have no choice, the failsafe sets the stick position at the bind as the failsafe. Therefore you should always bind with the throttle closed.

However - and this is very important....

You should understand that the 'brain' for the failsafe is in the receiver and not in the transmitter.

If having bound the receiver, you then set up your transmiter, and in the course of setting up the transmitter; reverse the throttle channel, then your failsafe position will be wide open throttle.

Believe me I've seen this at least four times now and on both Spektrum and Futaba gear. In my opinion an incorrecty set failsafe is very dangerous indeed.

The last thing you do after setting up a model is re-bind the receiver making sure that the throttle is closed.

I would strongly advise all modellers to check the opperation of their failsafe on each model. Make sure your model is restrained and turn the transmitter off. [Be very careful indeed with electric aircraft] Does the throttle close?

Imagine the scene - guy collects his electric model from the field - forgets to disconnect the battery because he is in a hurry, after all, others are flying. He gets back to the pits and a couple of flyers joke with him about his landing distracting him, He puts down his model and absent-mindedly switches off his transmitter... What would your model do?

• 2 months later...