flying electric

I know I will be criticised again but would like to know now that I have subscribed can I look at particular articles on line in past publications? ie January this year on multiple engine hook up. Another question! Is there a safe way to introduce a switch into my on board electrics say between the esc & the Rx so that I don't have to remove wing each time & disconnect battery directly from esc?

Advert

hello ross-yes if you are a subsciber---you can get at the older issues i believe.. via the subs extra link........as for the esc/rx......allthough i haven't done it ----- you should b able to put in a switch-or have one of the connectors in the circuit outside of the fuz.............

ken anderson ne..1 outside the fuz dept...

****** just had a look in the subs extra/digi archive-and you can get at the jan edition...

Edited By ken anderson. on 08/05/2012 07:42:01

I dont think a switch to disable the ESC is a good idea. Don't forget with the battery connected the model is deemed to be Live.

Always safer to remove or disconnect the battery. You can get some commerical switches that do the job, but have no experiance of them.

I saw a neat way to do this somewhere recently - with the connector outside the fuse. Just wish I could remember where.

Andy

As said, yes, look in the digital archive under the subs extra section.

If you put a switch between the ESC and the rx it works as a rudimentary safety device but

1) some ESCs will beep annoyingly if they don't have a rx signal

2) it's not really that safe because if the ESC decided to go off on a whim and ignore the lack of a rx signal you would still get havoc and carnage!

Also- not sure about anyone else on this forum but I always fly until the battery is empty (or at the very least needs a good long charge) so then the battery needs to come out anyway. I can't think of many occasions when such a device would be that useful.

Hi, I purchased a couple of these, and they work fine, isolating the battery until you are ready to fly or when you have landed, no battery connected equals no danger! I have also constructed one myself, which was very easy. I just used a shorted out Deans plug as the connecting plug. If you make one your self you can adjust the length of the wire and the connectors to suit your set up. The hardest part was cuttung out an old piece of circuit board to mount attach the arming plug to, for mounting on the side of plane. Epoxy glue held it all together satisfactorily. I believe something like should be a compulsory safety feature of electric models, especially larger models, as in some ways electric motors are worse than IC engines, in that the electric motors don't stall, they just keep on chopping!

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html

Scroll down to arming switches.

Posted by ross blackwell on 08/05/2012 08:59:09:

Mmmm! Found my way into the January edition O K but the print is just that much too small to read easily & I guess it can't be printed either?Is that a copyright thing or do I need a bigger PC screen?

ross-i've just had a look...if you left click the page...it zooms in for you--i can prob read it from a fair distance away from pc..

ken anderson ne..1 ...zoom dept.