My Fox conversion

Started work on the Fox conversion this evening as the weather was pretty miserable. I guess most of you have seen this done before so there wont be any surprises just my take on the topic.

Fox

start with 1 Multiplex fox

wing cut into 3 pieces

cut wing into three seperate pieces, insert middle into fuse and routerd out servo apertures

battery aperture

turned fuse over, postioned battery more or less on CoG and routered out aperture, the servo and bat cables will run inside the fuse. Melting the cable tunnels was done a bit later

canopy

Cut out for the rx and kept as much of the canopy retaining block as possible

fuse belly

underside of fuse

canopy

Canopy clips back on, servo's fitted

Pitcheron

Almost full length carbon wing joiner installed with small metal tubing (old ariel) running through fuse and first 35mm of wing root. Tomorrow I'll fit the contol horns and go flying

Advert

I was impressed when I first saw these flying but when I looked at the cost of putting one together, the RX alone must have almost doubled the cost of the project. It wasn't worth the money. Of course, now, a Hobby King Spektrum 2.4GHz micro RX can be had for virtually nothing, as can all the other components.

All done and after lunch we'll see if it flies OK. AUW 100grams.

I know what you are saying Nigel the servo's still cost more than the airframe but the complete conversion probably cost a lot less than a couple of rounds of beer and a taxi home! plus there's no hangover wink

wing joiner

I used a battery drill and a sharpened end of the carbon rod to insert the wing joiner

100g rc fox

All done and dusted

OK, been looking at this, and it looks quite do-able with parts I have in stock except the fox itself - perfect.

Apparently Andy Ellison did an article in RCM&E on how to do this conversion - anyone know of it? I'd like to look it up in the digital archive.

I would have to choose between elevator and all moving tail, and ailerons or all moving wings...

This could be fun....

I have flown the Fox three times and it's getting a bit easier each time, there is still a bit of tuning to do with the rates, expo and thumbs but nothing too serious. My friend built an R,E version but we can both tell the pitcheron version is a much better performer. That will also have something to do with the build and spec.

If you have any queries in respect to the build I'll be only to willing to try and help, they are a fun bit of kit which fall out of the sky quite regularly!

Right. Glider ordered.

Think I'll use one of my little Lipo's for this, pure glider and all moving wings and tail. next, do I do a rudder/fin control surface too.....

Once it gets here I plan it and then try to do a time lapse blog.....I see a bank holiday approaching!

Brilliant FWAL.....I like it.....thumbs up

For the hard of thinking (ie me....embarrassed) could you elaborate on your set up please.... Servo size, battery size, movement angle of the wings etc.....Oh & how did you link the servo arms to the wings?

Maybe we could have an evening mass lauch of Fox Conversions at Greenacres......last one down wins....teeth 2

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 24/05/2012 15:44:41

Don't give me more temptation!

I'm going to find the CG of the Fox once it gets here and attached the keyfob cam for a few throws then add the RC element with the cam also.

I have a cunning plan for the battery arrangement but can't plan too much until it get here - but only ordered it today.....

For the hard of thinking (ie me....embarrassed) could you elaborate on your set up please.... Servo size, battery size, movement angle of the wings etc.....Oh & how did you link the servo arms to the wings?

Seconded especially the control links - I have an idea or 2 but....

Hi Olly, Steve

I also gained inspiration from that 'Youtube' film. My conversion worked out 40g heavier which isn't such a bad thing as last night it was blowing a good 12mph and it was managing to penertrate OK. There is also no nose ballast in my Fox, I balanced the Fox to find the CoG before starting then guessed the rest. I also postioned the wing joiner/pivot point slightly different to the above's. I'm not saying it's right just that I went for the thickest wing section and reinforced the wing as much as possible as they are pretty flexible. I used HS 55 servo's which weigh 8g each.

I did a little film which I hope you'll find useful

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 25/05/2012 14:00:05

No sign yet. guess it won't get here for me to work on over the BH. typical Royal Fail.

Olly

Edit: The eBay fox has arrived ahead of promised delivery, but no sign of the SMC pacakge with additional bits in it.

This means I can start on the eBay one over the weekend...but might be missing some bits for it to work properly.

just a quick one regards the wing fixings - I see the spar all the way through the wings, which they rotate around, is this the only thing other than the servo clips holding the wings on?

Olly

Edited By Olly P on 01/06/2012 12:57:02

Photo's will go up shortly. I have started, my canopy was glued on....
Dave G also has one now.

I'm thinking the 4mm rod fixed in centre passing through the ali tube and then secured with wheel nuts.
More to follow when I've got time to upload. Might do some tomorrow, plan to maiden on weds if weather good.