Anyone for Fun Fly

Advert

i still dont know why you mentioned 4 days, friday, set up, sat sun mon comp days, tuesday, break down day, where do you get 4 days again??? most of the comps run over three days, monday being finals day, maybe they could condense it into 2 days, but its a 3 day event, this gives anough room for the heats, and for the crap paid line runners there to have a break, many of the guys flying are in other events, or should they stay on just the funfly line so would be entrants can leave on monday?    monday is finals,   its the domain of the top fliers,    many are probably home, just like you,   personally, i leave after the finals i want to see, about 5,  for i think finals day is the best of the three days

Edited By Alan Cantwell on 27/05/2012 23:11:12

Edited By Alan Cantwell on 27/05/2012 23:15:47

Alan have you got cotton wool.in ears mate, i asked a.question i said the comp.seemed to run for 4 days is this correct, obviously it does not, bit that why i asked the question!!
In.my oppinion a class 2 limited event funfly event could easily be ran in 2 days maybe even 1 our funfly events (1 event) last an hour or 2 tops and thats with 10 to 15 entrants, in my opinion more people would have a go if it did not go on for 3 days and require you to stay there untill monday afternoon

Gents

The event is run over three days because thats how long it takes to get through both classes, especially if there is a decent entry. It would be technically possible to get it all done in two days but with little contingency for delays for poor weather etc. If you are only entering one of the classes then you often have a couple of hours free in the morning or afternoon to see the other stuff while the other class flies hence my comment about not being tied to the line for the whole weekend.

This thread has kind of lost its drift so I'll start another in the next couple of days.

Offensive eh! Cotton wool in ears offensive, sorry if you took it that way Alan but I can't help feeling thats possibly a bit sensitive of you, well sorry anyway, but you should have read the thread,

Mike not sure why you think it's drifting, you asked a question if anyone feels like having a go at fun fly you have had 2 replies, mine was the only post saying I. Was interested but was concerned at a few things, I have asked the questions and you very kindly answered them, I understand how tough and time consuming it is to be CD, I am the CD for my club so I should, but I stand by my point that 3 days is a lot to ask off someone who might be interested in giving it a go, and you might have more joy doing a simple 1 or 2 day class 2 comp, as an intro, that's just my opinion obviously and you are free to ignore it, but I would suggest its not worth asking the question if the answers are to be ignored, I understand it's a tough position, and I wish you good luck with it, I will be there having a look see with beer in hand, pray for less than gale force winds

Hi chaps.

Figured i'd add my thoughts before the thread dissolves irrecoverably! cheeky I've been doing the funfly at the nats since 2000 so it's fair to say I'm one of the old hands now. Everything that has been said about the camaraderie is spot on and I've made a lot of friends over the years. To be honest this is the main reason I keep entering.

So, the funfly is fun! And it is right that it should be! The point about the duration of the event is an interesting one and if I'm honest I can see arguements both ways. For what it's worth, my view is this: This is the national championships. Ok, this is a more 'fun' event that say F3A or scale, and the competition will never be seen as being as prestigious as those, but neverthless, the winner becomes a national champion just as they would on any of the other flightlines. I think battling for those sort of bragging rights over 3 days is perfectly reasonable!

But... it is clear there are different views and that these are putting people off. I'll certainly mention it to the organisers this year for consideration going forward. Assuming weather didn't throw a spanner in the works, I agree in principal that the event could be condensed to two days.

Martin.

Edited By MartinBell on 30/05/2012 20:11:10

Hi Martin, totally agree that it is a national comp, and as such a comp over three days is fine , I really am only talking about class 2, the intro class, the key to any comp as I have found out as cd for my own club, is to get people to try it, once they try it, they generally find they actually like it! All I am saying if you are trying to generate some interest try making it more accessible and run the class 2 comp over 2 days, thereby not excluding those who have to go home on Monday, personally I would not be prepared to stay there on the Monday, so there would be no point in giving it a go if I had to miss the end. Mybe that's not committed enough!!!!

Tony

Look out for a new thread starting very soon where I'll describe stuff like triple thrash. It is part of the fun fly schedule, it's a core part of Class 1 and a mystery round option in Class 2

Olly, get stuck into the B cert practice mate, doesn't need to take years.

• 3 months later...

Hi Mike

I think we spoke the other week down at old warden and you gave me the details on the funfly event, I have about 6 members who could be interested in next years nationals 2013, and we intend to setup a funfly at out flying club in cleethorpes, but i need some information on electric planes and setup's, please can you suggest any.

Richard welch (Tigermoth)

Hi Richard

It wasn't me at Old Warden as I wasn't there, but pleased you and some colleagues are considering Fun Fly. I can't really help you with leccy set ups as I have only ever used ic, but I'll pm you the e mail address of one of the Fun Fly CD's who may be able to help. One thing I do know is that Class 2 was restricted to 3cells, Class 1 anything you like. Give me a day or so and I'll put you in touch with someone who should be able to help.

Mike