Harvard! Tony's 2012 design for the Special Issue

Advert

Naahhh not given up yet Barry all will come to he who waits and I think we have waited almost long enoughwink 2.

Still working on the FW42 but other things come along and it gets benched once again, a mate and I are going to try a small electric version out of foam or cardboard if they fly chances are they will get shot down by the combat foamies crying keep ya posted..

I can't believe the number of people bellyaching about this. TN has put in the effort and time to come up with yet another design from scratch when he could just as easily rest on his aeromodelling laurels and concentrate on the day job.

This man should be applauded for his efforts, not subjected to a litany of "why don't you do this," "I think you should do that," "I wouldn't do an abc, I'd do an xyz because it's my favourite."

People who are incapable of manning up and actually doing what TN does should shut up and appreciate the fact that there is a small group of dedicated guys who provide so much for this hobby in terms of designs, kits, reviews and a multitude of other things.

Oooh! I'm SO angry right now!

This thread is dissapointing . its not the choice of aircraft its the negativity.

a harvard is tonys choice , good on that man . I already have a world models at6 so i too wouldnt build it , but i bet it sells better than the FW190 last year. only because its a good all round plane .

The last few years in the voting thread i was always trying to get a theme going for a different style of aircraft.I feel the lysander was popular because of this , its different.

Good on tony for his choice this year , remember people . It was tonys choice. his reasons for it are more aimed at commercial rather than popularity i would suspect.

Looking forward to seeing finished craft

Cheers kiwi g.

Edited By kiwi g on 04/06/2012 00:03:53

Correct Daithi, the man at the top wanted one for his hanger so the thread goes. For my part I must congratulate TN for keeping us supplied with an alternative to the plethora of US Warbirds on the market be it plans, kits or ARF's. My club is almost overwhelmed by them plus on Saturday I find there are not one but three HK B-17's coming. (Who did win the war anyway?)

I for one won't build the Harvard as I think they are over represented here (both as models and the real thing, 12? I think at one Warbirds over Wanaka one year).

As I am nearing completion of a TN Miles Monitor build and conversion to Leccy, my next project is for a Fulmar, Firefly or a Whirlwind if Tony does one of these I'm a starter(CG maybe tricky with the Whirlwind?).

Good choices, Kiwikanfli, after 4yrs of flogging support for the Whirlwind, (where have you guys been), suddenly support from everywhere, there is a chance it might come to fruition, as David once remarked, " where is Barry, the worlds biggest Whirlwind fan", well, I'm still here and I am still pushing for one, mind you, I think the Harvard/ Wirraway will sit nicely, amougst my other warbirds, along with the Jittabug and Harmony.

Keep up the good work T.N

Barry

Well AA Barry and kiwicanfly , maybe you are asking the wrong person to build it .tonys not the only good designer here . maybe you could convince tim hooper to build one for you , not to mention the other great designers out there. nudge nudge ,wink... come on guys , im getting tired of the aussie chap begging face 22wink 2

You could ask hoobyking to build one barry

No thanks kiwi g I don't want a Hobbyking one if they churn out a Lanc with only a 1100mm wingspan think how big a Whirlwind would be!!!!!

Hey but your right maybe a competion amongst all the Designers for a particular design to MOD (RCME?) specs, now that could be interesting.

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 04/06/2012 02:16:25:

If you check back through the thread you'll find it wasn't actually Tony's choice

I dont think anyone was holding him at gun pointwink 2

Totally agree with the other kiwi... good idea . 

Edited By kiwi g on 04/06/2012 10:43:06

theres plans and kits for a whirlwind available too anyway, a quick google brings some up if you want one so badly, in spans of 49" to 108", it must be very hard for designers to try and come up with original projects, most are probably already available somewhere,

"you cant please all of the people all of the time" I believe the saying goes

Edited By Codename-John on 04/06/2012 12:28:25

John, I am not harrassing T.N for a W.W plan if you go back to threads , it was he who suggested, "it would be sooner rather than later", and I appreciate your last comment

Yes there are other plans around for it (5), 2, I have built and the kit is way to small and I have a copy of another 2, 1 by Chris Gold is mainly foam the other plan is also 2 small, which did fly very well,. the E/P model is my avitar, except I converted it, to I.C with a different wing profile

In future I will refrain from agreeing with T.N and his build list,

Of the plans that T.N has produced most of them also have been modeled before, but he has a method of making the plans quite simple to build

Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 04/06/2012 12:48:40

I wasnt just aiming it at you Barry, please dont take it personally, I was merely trying to point out that there are already plans and or kits for nearly every imaginable aircraft ever made, and unless T.N. was to come up with an own design then probably anything he did produce is, more than likely already available from another source that if people were prepared to look for they might be pleased, insted of waiting to be spoon fed exactly what they want

Have been in this business for 30 years plus, I've designed qiute a few aircraft including trainer, sport models and scale. By far the most popular are military scale followed closely by civilian scale. You only have to look at the hype when a B-17 or a Vulcan, of the BBMF turn out at a air show and you can see why the public and modellers alike gavitate toward the war birds. You only have to look at the Airfix range of plastic kits to see what the modelling public like too.

Ultimately I take a commercial view on what will be popular but I'm not alway right and never thought the Lysander would be as popular as it was.

Just hope the Harvard will do better than the FW190!!!!