Hangar 9 Sopwith Camel Turnbuckles

Alwyn Gee

Hi All

Does anyone out there have any spare turnbuckles for the above ARTF model. I was flying on Sunday and discovered when packing up that I had lost the barrel of one of the flying wire turnbuckles. I have tried all over tinernet and keep getting the same reply.....not in stock with us or our supplier,(Horizon Hobbies UK I presume,) and no estimate as to when they will be available.

None of the turnbuckles I have found on Ripmax and other sites are quite the right size so I wondered if someone elses misfortune might be my salvation. If you have one of these models that has met it's demise and you saved the flying wires I will be happy to buy them from you. I know they are not structural and it's only an ARTF but I do wnat it to look as good as I can get it. Failing this I will probably have to change them all.

Regards

Alwyn

Advert

Thanks Wingman, F1 Hobbies is one of the model shops that gave me the news about current stock levels, I'm well aquainted with them as it was they who supplied my first ever model.

Cyclicscooby, I have been looking at some of the model boat web sites too and this is the most likely source if I decide to replace them all as there does not appear to be any after-market ones to match. The ones on the Camel are pretty low quality, just bits of "brass ?" tube with a left and right hand thread in them & black metal threaded eyelets for the wire attachments.

I'll sort something out, I just thought I'd check if anyone had a reduntant set kicking about their workshop.

Thanks again

Alwyn

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks

Just to round off this story, these flying wires are now showing as discontinued on the spares list on Horizon Hobby website both here and in the US but I managed to locate a set of on the Hobby Zone website over the big puddle. Looks like it was the last ones they had as after I ordered them the stock level showed zero. they were ordered on the 14/6/12 and were delivered to my door on the 19/6/12. Pretty good service me thinks.

I've now put locknuts on all the right hand thread sides of each turnbuckle, but I now have plenty of spares if that fails.

Alwyn

Thanks Tim but now have a full set of spares, minus the one that I used, so hopefully this will keep me going for as long as i can keep the model flying, especially with the lock nuts on.

Hang on to yours tho' cos they are no longer available and you may find other takers for them.

I found your review of this model with the sound system on the Model Solutions Canada website and am considering having a go at it. It certainly sounds the part on the accompanying video.

I'm glad I didn't read your review of the build for this model before I bought mine or I would have given it a wide berth. I didn't have quite the same hassles as you but it was the most problematic ARTF I've come accross so far. But now it's all worth it as it is a joy to fly.

Thanks again.
Alwyn