ABC Model Sports

Shaun Clarke

I would like to share a bad experience dealing with ABC Model Sports www.abcmodelsport.net

On the 2nd September I ordered a Servo for my P51 Mustang and was shown as 'in stock'. When the servo arrived it was completely the wrong thing and strangely a small note inside saying "sorry that your part is out of stock" (????)

I immediately returned the servo (at my own expense and registered post) foolishly thinking I would be sent the correct part or recieve a refund....3 and half months later, still no Servo and no refund. I am continously 'fobbed off' with "the manager isnt here" or we have asked the accounts person to send you a cheque...etc etc.....

It was only ten pounds but as someone on a modest income and a family to support ten pounds is ten pounds.

Please beware of buying online from these people.

Merry Christmas all...

Advert

Shaun,

A bit heavy but might be worth it if you feel strongly enough about it (well developed sense of right & wrong)...

Send them a letter (recorded is good, but keep a copy) outlining the history (dates, personal costs, etc) and asking them when they are either going to supply the right part and re-imburse you for your out of pocket costs incurred as part of their failure to delivery the promised goods, or to refund the full amount you paid for the servo, plus your subsequent out-of-pocket expenses. It is also reasonable to ask for a further amount to reflect the lost interest and inconvenience over that period (say another quid, nothing too unreasonable).

At the end of the letter,say that you look forward to hearing from them within a reasonable period of time, say 14 days (important to have a deadline), when you will then decide if you will want to take the matter further.

If they respond and send you servo + money or money, then you have a result. If (sadly as I suspect) they don't, you now have the basic grounds for a small claims court action.

It is still at this stage, worth pointing this out to them, letting them know the implications of losing such an action (at least a further £25 for opening the claim, court costs, court judgement against them - bad for their business credit with suppliers and the bank - and it is also reasonable for the court to award you damages for the time you spend prepping for the action, so that is even more cost to them). again document it and give them a reasonable time to respond (say 7 days this time).

If they have sense, at this stage, they should settle the matter. If they ignore you again, then go through with the action.

Talk to the Citizen's Advice Bureau (free advice and they may also consider writing a further letter to ABC on your behalf) about a small claim and how to fill out the forms, etc. The cost is around £25 I think.

A submission by you will not require you to attend the court, the judgement is made on the facts alone and if your facts are straight and you can show that the shop didn't supply the goods they contracted to (by accepting your order), then they will be at fault and will lose and you will get all your costs ++ back.

If they don't bother to turn up and contest it (which I suspect is likely), same result. If they ignore the ruling of the court, then you can go back to the court and bailiffs will be appointed to obtain the value of the judgement and their own costs, which is when it gets seriously nasty for ABC. 

It sounds a little over the top for £10, but the end result can be very satisfying.

Hope this helps,

Roger

(PS you might be wondering how I know the procedure - my daughter was /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif[/img].*#@~.d]s.*#@~.d by a previous employer and we went through the above procedure to obtain 6 weeks salary that she was owned. With detailed documentation, she got the salary, all her small claims court costs, preparation costs and other out of pocket expenses, interest on the payment and the most satisfying smug feeling from knowing that they hadn't got away with it!)

Thanks Roger. I may go as far as writing the letter...but frankly I dont really want to waste anymore of my valuable time on the cretins....as satisfying as it may be to take them to court. I will write the letter and let you all know what happens,,,but judging by previous communications...nothing i suspect!

• 2 weeks later...

I must add my experience with this company.  I bought a model tank for my boyfriend as a Xmas present on 12th Dec.  It was showing as in stock.  I rang them on 17th Dec and spoke to a lady who  confirmed that it was due in that day or the next day and that if it did not come in with the order then I would be informed and get an immediate full refund.  I heard nothing the next day or the next and my account on their website still showed as pending, I did not receive the tank or a refund.  I emailed them 5 times in total and got no reply.  I rang constantly and the line either rang and rang then cut off and then it was constantly engaged.  I rang one day from 10am until 5pm every 5 minutes, constantly engaged.  I have emailed them threatening to take it further unless I got a refund to no avail.  I have now reported them to Trading Standards and have been advised that this will be reported as technically they are breaking the law.  If you pay for something and the company take your money but do not supply the goods then it is theft, plain and simple theft. If you have lost money to this company, please go to trading standards and get them shut down!

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Just came across this site whilst trying to resolve issues with ABC Modelsport. My order was not for aircraft related items but wargaming figures. The order was placed, and the money, £43.70,  debited from my card on the day I placed the order, but no goods received. Managed to speak to the company once and they assured me that they had almost everything ready and were simply waiting for one item, which was expected "anyday". Now, over two weeks later, still no goods received. Tried to telephone them, but no answer; only a recorded message advising that their mailbox was full. Three e-mails elicited absolutely no response.

Another case of theft as far as I am concerned. I've contacted my credit card company who will be sending me dispute form in 7 to 10 days!!, and hopefully I'll be able to get my money back eventually.

In any event I repeat the warnings already placed on this site, be very wary of dealing with ABC Modelsports. If in doubt, don't!! 

Evening folks,

... and the latest is that I finally got through to the elusive ABC Modelsports. Aparently they have had a new telephone system installed which has caused them problems.... hmmm. And they didn't know that the system came with a mailbox so it didn't get checked... double hmmm. Doesn't explain why they failed to answer my e-mails!!! But they are confident that my items should be available any day. There was even the sound of a box being rattled done the phone to emphasise the fact that they had at least got some/most of my order. (Fortunately there was nothing breakable in the order!!). Of course it COULD have been somebody elses box of goodies? A delivery from their importrer was due in this very afternoon, or possibly tomorrow or Monday, so I should have everything with me by the middle of next week. Hmmm again.

Apparently they are very keen to get all their orders out because they're going to start stock checking next week. Funny time of the year to stock check. But not if the shop is closing/being sold.....??

As to receiving my goods, I'll believe it when I see it. And I think I'll still complete the dispute form from my credit card company as soon as I see it, because, as they say, my confidence is not high that I'll receive my order, particularly when other posts suggest that they are closing down. And I thought it was extremely bad form to take peoles money until the goods were despatched...

I will keep you posted.

Does anyone know what the new owner IS interested in?

Purely from my point of view (and outstanding order), I hope it's  wargames figures.

But for EVERYONE who has had bad experiences and/or outstanding orders, let's hope that customer service, communication and building a long term relationship are aspects that the new buyer considers a priority, otherwise, given the feedback on this company's previous and current level of service, he'll have a rough ride and not many, or even, ANY,  returning customers.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul

From what I have been told at my local club, the new owner will be concentrating on Plastic kits, Warhammer and all the subsidiaries  and will only be selling a small amount of RC as this is not his expertise.

He intends to be in by the end of October, so I assume you will need to resolve all outstanding orders by the.

If I hear anymore will keep you posted

Dave

Hi Dave and Tom,

Oh well, lets hope that either ABC Modelsports or Capital One can resolve the issue before end October.

Who knows, maybe the departing owner will honour disputed transactions that occurred during this changeover period. And of course pigs can fly, the moon is made of blue cheese, and the cheques in the post, (Well the goods certainly aren't!!).......

Thanks to everyone for the advice. And if anyone out there has an unresolved problem with ABC Modelsports I suggest that they get onto their credit card company quick and complete a Disputed Transaction form, as in my experience the only time credit card companies move quickly is to raise interest rates...

Good Luck,

Paul