Mystery Plane - 40 sized Low Wing Sportster

Marky

Morning all, I recently took pity on this airframe that's been loitering in our club shed for months and months, I took it home before but took it back but now have got it again and have decided to do something with it, it is approx 54-55" wingspan, I have a 46 two stroke sitting around doing nothing so will use that, I wonder if anyone would know the identity of this model and if perhaps some plans / notes might be available, I notice on one of the ribs the word Kavalier was hand written, initially I was thinking SIG Kavalier but I thought that was a High Winger.

Many thanks for any replies.laugh

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 03/07/2012 12:23:22

Advert

Hello Alan, Well thank you for that, Poor little thing had been in the shed for what seemed like years, it needed either to chucked on the next fire or given a home, looks like I chose the best option then! there is a bit of work to be done, I'll try and take some progress shots and post if you are interested, sounds like my .46 may be a bit too powerful it though!, Thanks again, Mark.

they where a first aerobatic type thing, but will indeed be a very good retro aerobatic thing, your find, being original, is for me, a new found treasure, and should be in a national model museum, bit OTT? i dont think so, our hobby has a heritage, and its not recorded, be carefull with it,

Hi Alan, OK then I will treat it as a national treasure, I have some Royal Blue profilm which I'm going to cover it it, I've not worked out the detailing (Styling) yet, and have yet to build the cowling,Thanks for the link, I did have a look, will treat myself to another when they are available.

Hi Ultimate, I am wondering if mine is a Kamco Kavalier now, the fuselage on your appears taller and a little shorter in length, your plane has full length ailerons, my fuselage appears shorter in height and the ailerons are not full length, or were these things an option maybe, Thanks, Mark.

• 4 weeks later...

kamco kavalier-29.jpg

kamco kavalier-28.jpg

HI all, First of all many thanks to all who have responded to clarify this model as being a Kamco Kavalier, I've very much enjoyed the research side of this model, here are a couple of photos of the re-built plane, yes I know that long orange thing is a 35Mhz aerial, reason being, I have no problems with 35Mhz so see no reason to change at this time, anyway the plane has got Futaba servos all round, 1200mah RX battery and a Magnum 46 Two Stroke up front driving a 11x8 APC prop, I started the cog 1/3 back from the leading edge to begin with and we'll see how we go from there, waiting for first flight.....

kamco kavalier-24.jpg

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 03/07/2012 12:24:32

Hi Marky, That looks awesome!! great find you have really done it justice

Have you managed to fly it yet?

I have managed to gat a Kamco kavalier plan from Kamco models via Ebay, can you tell me how you got that cowl was it with the model in the shed? or is it from something else that happens to fit nicely?

Love the open cockpit design I may do mine like this, if I don't try to make a plug for a canopy.

Dean

Hi Dean,

Thanks for the comments, No not managed to fly because of the weather so far, I built the cowl from some medium balsa and roughly shaped it to what I thought it might look like, the canopy is just a piece of clear, stiff packaging which I had lying around, probably nothing like the original, but It'll do me, If my friend is available on the day he'll do a video for Youtube. Good luck with yours, Mark.

Hi all,

Just to let you all know that I had the test flight (and a few more) today, despite a small bit of fishtailing I am very happy with it, shes tracks nicely and surprisingly for me I only needed a click of right aileron to keep her flying straight, elevator appeared spot on. This really is a great little plane even handled my less than perfect landings with ease.

Mark.

Thanks gents, I'm very pleased with it, Gives me some confidence now to start rebuilding an old Practicle Scale Folland Gnat I found on Ebay, G/F fuz etc, ect, I have to make a canopy but I think I should be able muster up a flyable plane. By the way I maidened my Vmar Arrow Hawk (Red Arrow), I used a SC52 with a large silencer and an APC 12x7 prop but performance was marginal, so I swopped the silencer for the shorter one off the Kamco Kavalier and changed the prop to a 11x7 graupner and it went a bit better, A bit noisier because of the prop but the silencer was just as quiet, funny thing though the Kamco Kavalier actually went better with the large silencer. I try and get my friend to do a video next time and post on You Tube.