Veron Impala new build - Which Aerofoil ?

Chris Armstrong

Hello,

As I fancy getting back into slope soaring, especially as it's always windy down here on the South coast, I got some Impala plans off ebay.

I have read that the aerofoil used on these was a bit limited in the speed range over which it worked. As I'm building it up from scratch I thought I'd have a fiddle with the aerofoil, however having googled the subject I am somewhat spoiled for choice. The good old Clark Y aerofoil looks like a good starting point as an upgrade.

Any comments/recommendations on the aerofoil choice ? It needs to be a bit docile as I haven't flown a sloper since 1991.

Advert

I wouldn't have thought it'd be that quick even with a fast airfoil as the fuselage is quite bulky, so on that basis I'd suggest eppler E374; it's used in a fair few traditional sport models, has good manners at low speed/in light lift, good acceleration/speed if pushed and is reasonably thick so you should be able to keep all the wood sizes and construction the same without building a bendy wing.

Chris, I don't think changing the wing aerofoil would be that much of an advantage but changing the tail from a lifting section to a flat plate - say 1/4" thick - would be a good idea.

I never had an Impala of my own but have flown other's peoples a number of times in the distant past. The thing I always noticed about the Impala was a pronounce dutch roll which I put down to too much dihedral. I think reducing the dihedral to about 75% with rudder/elevator only or to 25% & converting to ailerons would make it a better model. If you do change the wing section to something like the E374 then I think ailerons would be an obvious consideration.

Edited By PatMc on 09/06/2012 10:22:16