Proud but Sad

NewBuilderFlyer

After a week off work I finally completed my first scratch built model - the Harlequin. And today I started it for the first time. And damaged it. Some random thoughts and questions spring to mind:

- After so much hard work cutting, sanding, fitting, gluing, sanding I covered my plane with Oracolor - boy am I rubbish at covering.... I love the look of balsa and I covered it with expensive shiny plastic.

- The little 0.32 SC engine started first time and I scooted the plane up and down the garden until the neighbour looked over the fence in a disapproving way.

- Off to the village hall green and there my wife bought along the video camera. The engine started fine and I taxied along the grass until I hit a hidden hole and the plan tipped up. Luckily no damage. After a few runs I did something silly and headed towards some longer grass - exhaust oil and grass cuttings make a tricky to remove extra covering. Then a final run and I applied too much throttle - I had no intention of lifting off but it did - a gust of wind and some inappropriate tx stick work flipped the plane over. Broken prop and sadness for being so stupid - this was just meant to be an engine starting test after all.

- Nitro exhaust gets everywhere - what's the best way to remove it?

- I have some fuel left in the tank - can I leave it in there for a few days or do I need to drain it soon?

So it's back to the repair hanger to make some adjustments and repairs. Don't worry I've applied to join a local flying club that can teach me to do this properly (I'm a bit worried they might giggle when they see my first attempt).

Ready to Fly!

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/06/2012 20:17:12

Advert

Yes of course you can - but check out with the tutorials how to insert links correctly! You'll find them in the using the forum section on pressing "All Topics" at the top of the page.smile

Well going by the picture I think your model looks very good indeed and for a first attempt its excellent - so well done you!

Cleaning exhaust residue off - I use a plastic spray bottle (you can get them at any pound shop or slightly more at B&Q). fill with water add a little washing up liquid. Spray on wipe with a J-cloth or something similar. Once you have the model basically clean finish off with a "wet-wipe" - again big packs available cheap in the pound shop!

Yes you should drain the fuel. Glow fuel absorbs water and isn't at its best left in the air. And too expensive to waste these days.

I'm sure you've learnt the leason - but models can do unpredictable things - like fly! - and they can be dangerous if not treated with respect. Imagine if that run-away had injured someone, maybe a child? You'd feel awful. The club will help you understand the dangers and deal with them.

A broken prop is no big deal - I don't want to worry you, but if you're like the the rest of us you'll do a lot more damage than that before you have this flying thing licked! wink 2

Anyway - best of luck with it and enjoy!

BEB

NewBuildFllyer very well done for the build and for being brave enough to post on here.
It sounds like a few scary scenarios may have gone through your mind since?

BEB is absolutely right though, you need to be in the right place with the right guidance, and the right insurance. It's a fantastic hobby as long as we take the bit of care that's needed.

Joining the club will almost certainly get you the insurance and the little bit of help you need.

Make sure you let us know how you get on

Cheers
Chris

You are all absolutely right - the plane goes back on the work bench until I get properly trained (the 'flying' area was completely empty although I know that accidents can easily happen).

By building from scratch I've probably spent more money (and time) than buying an ARTF version - but have learnt so much in the 3-month process.

My 'best' mistake has been finishing the whole plane with all the moving serfaces attached and then asking a friend how to apply the covering - you should have seen his face (luckily he managed to stifle a laugh). The 'up' side is that next time I'll do things differently and a bit better. Thank-you for your encouragement.

The web site I've created will expire at the end of June, after that I'll need to host it elsewhere.

**LINK**

Hello Newbuilder

As a newbie myself I can assure you that the chances of anyone giggling at your first attempt at building are very small. I have never met a more understanding bunch of people than my new clubmates. Quite the opposite, they'll probably bend over backwards trying to help and advise you. As many here will tell you, they remember their first efforts at building/flying.

As for your friend's face, he was probably remembering when he'd done the same. Get to your local club, mate.

Ian

Hi Newbuilderflyer

Don't be to down beat I am sure you will easily fix any damage caused, had a look at your website and got to say you have done an awesome job.

For cleaning the model I use Fresh and green kitchen and hob cleaner it is made from plant extracts so is safe for the enviroment I got mine from the local supermarket.

Dean