Help with Power System for Harlequin

Hello All

Could I just add my two pennarth in regards to keeping things simple. As a newbie, I too am very confused by the often (to me anyway) meaningless jumble of numbers connected to a manufacturer's motors. I'm sure they mean something to each manufacturer but I'm beggared if I'm going to bother learning each one's specific code.

I get frustrated when, on the forum, someone recommends ABC company's 1234/56 motor. It means nothing to me and, when I google the manufacturer and get a spec. breakdown, it often continues to mean nothing.

Enter E-Flite, closely followed by 4Max. E-Flite have the common sense to name their motors with numbers corresponding to their 2-stroke equivelants and their website lists model weights recommended props and batteries etc. 4Max's website shows a whole list of manufacturer's motors and the Purple Power (4Max's motors) equivelants, including E-Flite. (4Max's website goes on to include a whole host of useful information and not just product specs and prices.)

Bless them both for a common sense approach to a confusing aspect of our hobby.

Ian

Advert

I agree Ian but I'm never completely happy when the people giving the information are trying to sell to me.

That's one of the reasons this forum is so good - you can ask people for their knowledge and experience which gives me more confidence in purchasing the best equipment for the task in hand.

I ignore the 2628/08 bit, and just look at Kv and watts..

Watts from weighing the plane... X per Lb...

Kv depends on model size.. Most of mine, on 32"-38" models, running 8x4 - 12x6, are 1000Kv-1400Kv..

Smaller models (props) = higher Kv... and vica-versa

THEN pick Esc / Lipo from motor requirements..

Simples...

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 23/06/2012 15:04:43

Not simples !

Chrisie, are you saying watts for weight and Kv for wingspan? Don't the two usually go up together, hand in hand? I say "usually" because, of course, this isn't always the case.

Don't watts and kv on motors go up and down, together, also?

Ian

I've now started a build blog and have a question for Mr Miller -

I'm having trouble obtaining 'rock hard' 1/4 X 1/4 balsa for the wings from my local suppliers - will spruce be too heavy ? Also can you advise me where I can purchase a pilots head and what scale pilot did you use?

thanking you in anticipation smiley

You can use spruce, it will not be very much heavier than rock hard balsa.

I used about a 1/6th scale Pilot head. MD products do some quite good ones if you don't mind joining the molding and painting it. Same with Radio Active pilots.

Otherwise there are a big range distributed by J.Perkins. Also you can find good ones on Ebay.