Next time, perhaps I'll try building a chainsaw with a glow engine...

Thought I'd get the new mower out yesterday - after some tribulations leading to the rather odd aerial configuration on the tranny which I'm sure had no bearing on subsequent events, I started checking it's flight envelope, stall characteristics, trimming, a couple of loops and rolls etc...until the mower decided it would try its hand at being a chainsaw...

Not certain what happened but the most likely scenario is getting DO'd due to the gloomy light, coupled with going further away than before to get some clearance on the (trespassing) walkers who caused me to abort the first landing circuit. I did have it level as it left my view and was hoping to see it pop up above the treeline again...

crying

It's not too bad but one of the sides is still missing - it may still be in the tree somewhere so I'll take some binoculars with me tomorrow - I didn't/don't see any evidence that it came off in flight to provide me with any excuses!

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/06/2012 12:10:37

Advert

Shame about that Martin it looked to be flying well . It looked a little pitch sensitive though and I noticed some tx trim changes half way through the flight .Could it be that turbulence from the trees caused a pitch up resulting in a spin ?.On the other hand the distance combined with the light shear effect caused by the trees could easily result in disorientation but this normally happens when the model transits from the sky back ground to the the tree background. Whatever it was happened very quickly giving little opportunity for recovery .

Hope some thing comes to light as not knowing the cause creates a lingering doubt about things that were probably ok .

Tom.

Pitch sensitivity was probably due to my thumb shaking! The trimming you heard was just the initial trimming really - the last(first) time I flew it was rather turbulent and I hadn't done any trimming until that point as it was close enough to fly relatively comfortably...

There was an element of experimentation in the pitch trim/throttle coupling, hence the extended trimming - possibly wanted a bit of downthrust, I felt.

The deliberate stall earlier in the flight was relatively benign but I hadn't tried stalling off a turn - quite possibly something in that, maybe combined with tree-induced turbulence.

Shame really as I was just beginning to enjoy myself...but it won't take a lot of work to repair - especially if I find the missing bits!

P.S. Just remembered I was going to post a warning about the cameraman's mild expletive at the end!

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/06/2012 15:28:11

Posted by Martin Harris on 22/06/2012 15:11:48:

Shame really as I was just beginning to enjoy myself...but it won't take a lot of work to repair - especially if I find the missing bits!

...which I have. Yesterday's winds obviously blew someone some good!

Wings and Wheels tomorrow so repairs will start next week...