Galaxy Models, in administration

Avtur

I cannot really imagine that any person with any compassion would not feel sadness at your and many other similar stories.

Unfortunately Avtur's experience indicates why the future of many LMS is endangered.

As with supermarkets and the corner shop, the wholesale prices to the LMS are often much higher than the large high volume MS.

Banks and other sources of finance, are primarily interested in the banks/shareholders interests. There shareholders do not see the business as providing a social service. In a similar vein, HM Revenue and Customs, are focused on gathering taxes, exhibiting no compassion, beyond crocodile tears, when politically expedient.

These experiences are not restricted to MS, but a host of other small niche retailers. Be it Wool/knitting shops, DIY/ironmongers, Motor Factors and the list goes on, of retailing that has been and continues to be dominated large organisations or small mail-order retailers. By and large these large retailers have abandoned the high street, never mind the corner shop locations, or the shopping parade, preferring large retail parks.

I know we all wish Avtur a much brighter future.

Advert

Galaxy was my LMS and I have known Gary and his brothers for more than 35 years.

Part of the problem in the model trade is the same as what happened in pharmacy some years ago, where large wholesale operators have bought into the retail sector and this gives them the ability to undercut the prices of most of the rest of the trade, since they have both the retail and the wholesale margin to play with. The internet accentuates this as they can compete better with all of the independent sector and they are the ones who set the prices and discounts for that sector. They are of course also able to gain "best" prices from manufacturers.

Now there is nothing wrong with the internet and we all use it, but what will happen when the big guys have put all the independents out of business? Might prices rise? I also wonder whether they will donate all the raffle pizes at events run by the local clubs here, where we often raised several hundred for the local air ambulance. Many years ago, I had a child that died suddenly. Gary raise a collection from among his many customers and sent a huge bunch of flowers from them all, to the funeral for us.

I have never forgotten it - Thanks Gary

Use your LMS or lose it.