retracts nihuis 72" Spit

Having bought the mechanical set from Unitracts for the 72" Spitfire I was expecting them to be a virtually`drop in` fit but find that they are,in fact,longer than those shown on the plan and stand proud of the wing by quite a bit.I can lower them into the wing a liitle bit but the retract actuator then fouls the upper sheeting,also the outer edge of the wheel is very close to the outer wing rib.I have built for well over 30 years and I find this is one of the least enjoyable models I have ever built despite the laser cut parts which are pretty good.Quite a few errors on the plan and now this with supposedly `custom` retracts.Who got it wrong?The mag or Unitracts?

Advert

Hi Brian, I fitted the mechanical set from Unitracts too, I had to have them shortened by Tony to get them to work right. I seem to recall it was by 10mm. But once the correct length they fitted a treat. The wheel has to be skinny, and the ribs eased to get them to fit. I fitted the strakes on the outside of the upperwing skin to help with rigidity. They didn't sit proud of the wing though??

One of the fuselage formers was the wrong shape, but everything else fitted okay.

If you haven't seen my blog its here "Don't just stand there, get one up!"

Any questions fire away

Cheers

Danny