Galaxy/Pegasus Magician - Lotus inspired extra lightweight Mod's

Thanks guys, CS I will check the height later.

Simon- I expect the 40fp to be less powerful than your Q40 but mainly due to engine capacity and age both I would expect to be less powerful than the 46LA. The 40LA would be less powerful than the Q40.

I checked the weight of the OS46AX for a future possibility but it is quite heavy at 489g more than SC46 or 52!

Advert

I couldn't find anything on the Q40 power spec at all when I looked. It may be marginally more powerful the modern Irvine 40Mkiv has 1.4hp so it's not impossible, but both engines are a fair bit heavier by a good 100g. The Q40 was designed to use larger props at a lower rpm, which is different to the OS46LA it is happier at a higher rpm.

I think the ASP36 has much the same power as the OS40LA around 1hp but it's difficult to say as they always show it in Kw. If I convert the 0.95kw to hp it would mean the ASP36 has 1.27hp (not sure if I can believe that or not?)

Thanks CS,

I wish I was that close to Pegasus and Slec, I used to live in ipswich. Well done for getting the Jester, I am hoping to build her next, early next year (Jan-Feb).

I noticed Pegasus Models have done a extremely good instructional build of a Wizard with photos under "Download" when you look through the photos of the Wizard on their site.

The downloadable Wizard build instructions are superb, wish they had a Jester one! I only live about 40 minutes away from PM which is very nice, but I always end up with a lot less money when I go there...smiley They have some superb kits, and I could not resist the Jester- there are 2 hanging up in there!!!

Are you going to build your Jester lightweight like the Magician? What mods are you making too?

I think I will probably just build it too plan (modifying the Domino took ages!) but I think I will try and make it as light as possible like your Maggy (by stealing borrowing Mum's accurate scales), so I can fit an ASP 30 four stroke (and it performs with it!!!) but I am undecided on engine yet- some bench running is on order! Think I may try some holes down the fuselage sides, maybe the wings but I am a tad nervous about that.

I will stick with 2 ailerons, Dad's old one had a fast roll rate with little throws on two ailerons (and that one had old, heavy radio- imagine with new radio!!!). Single servo in the middle to save weight and smaller servos than I usually use for the rest- for weight again. And a smaller battery and tiny AR400 reciever. And I will probably not bother with interplane struts initially to save some weight and drag. Handily the foam decks are already hollowed out which is nice in the weight department!

Your's will probably be done when I start mine in about July next year, so watching your build will be very helpful. Then we can set up the Jester aerobatic display team!!! Your Magician is looking superb, it will fly brilliantly with the weight saving!

CS

Hi All,

Slow progress has been made on the Magician this weekend, unfortunately a couple of weeks ago I plugged a lipo into my newly built Align 450 copy Helicopter and accidently switched it to full throttle in the house and I sliced my thumb badly on the flybar paddles (No main blades attached luckily), it was okay a few days ago healing, but the last couple of days its been really tender with lots of presure in it and looks like puss under the skin. I hope to see a doctor this week about it, it's seriously slowing my build down !

Hi Everyone,

A quick update, I'm really struggling with the Torque Rod bearers for some reason this time. The type or ailieron rods they put in the kit have quite large plastic holders not the thin tube like in the plan drawings. So to glue balsa bearer around them is tricky as there is almost nothing to glue to. I think if I did it again I would put a small servo for each ailieron and do away with tourque rods.

Here is a couple for photo's of the sanded fuselage the fin and stabilizer isn't glued in (not before covering)

20121215_154845.jpg

20121215_154914.jpg

20121215_154928.jpg

My experience so far of the Magician build is fairly good, all the wood seems to be of good quality. However the plan and the instructions don't perfectly match and some of the components have been changed/upgraded.

The Aileron rods are causing a bit of a slow down and it didn't help that I sanded the TE of the wing before glueing the balsa Aileron rod bearers in place.

Your experience of the Magician sounds similar to the Domino. Wood quality excellent, the plan is quite good too but the instructions are not very good. The Jester instructions sound better, but the plan is a bit faded but I'll get through since Dad has built one before!

Hmm, these torque rods sound odd. I have never done it, the Funfly was built to plan with servos in the wings and with 4 ailerons I thought it better to put two servos in the Domino, the Jester will be my first experience of them. Could you replace the tube that they run through? In the Jester kit they are quite narrow.

Happy building!

CS

Thanks CS,

Okay well shes all finished now waiting for her maiden hopefully next weekend which I plan to video and add a link here if all goes well. The final all up weight is an amazing 3lb's 11oz's - a good saving i'm sure you'll agree over the Std build 4.5-5lbs, it's almost the same weight as my Wizard!!

Anyway I have also found my configuration balanced perfectly at 6.5cm from LE of the main wing at the root.

Here are some photo's I will take better ones outside with better light when I maiden her (The Colour Scheme is Dark Green and Yellow even although it looks Black and Yellow in the poor light). I decided to keep the electronics as simple as possible to keep weight down in the end and have tried to style her on a 50's-60's Lotus racing car style.

20121230_211957.jpg

20121230_212009.jpg

20121230_212042.jpg

Edited By Tony H on 30/12/2012 21:39:55

Just caught this thread, couple of points first with that colour scheme don't fly over oil seed rape, my yellow and green wot4 took half a morning to find and it was a scant 10 metres from me in flowering oil seed rape. fantastic camo job!!!!!

Second don't believe the published figures re the 46 LA, a review in rcme said the engine was struggling to get just over half the claimed hp. The reviewer commented, perhaps unwisely, that it was a calculated makers claim. I think it was the last time he did a review for rcme. IIRC he even tried with high nitro and no muffler and got (I think) 0.8 bhp.

I'm not knocking the engine I think they are fantastic but they aren't high performance.

Love the plane though.

Thanks Guys, I am really proud of her turn out well. I just hope she flies as good as she looks!

Braddock,VC - I take your point about the Rape seed, luckily there isn't any where I fly (few). Also I know the OS LA range isn't a performance range of engines and are well known for being underpowered (although I think 0.8hp is a bit silly for a 0.46 engine which will happily turn a 11x6 prop - maybe you mixed it up with the 40LA), however they are also well known for being very reliable and light which is why I used it in this application (weigh the same as modern 30 sized) as I believe it will suit a 3lb 11oz plane well.

You have to ask yourself can anyone really believe the stated hp from any engine manufacturer sometimes they show it in KW just to throw you. All I know is the 46LA is fairly powerful equivalent to a good modern ballraced 36-39 I would say but able to turn an 11" prop. From my experience the 40LA seem very underpowered as did the 25LA but the 46 wasn't so bad for some reason given an 11" prop. I believe the following is true on engine power at this size based on experience. Most powerful being at No 1.

1. Irvine 46,

2. SC/ASP 46,

3. Irvine 40,

4. SC/ASP 40,

5. Irvine 39,

6. OS46LA,

7. SC/ASP 36,

8. OS40LA

If you added OS performance range into the mix I believe they would just top the Irvines but not by much - All based on what I have flown, seen and read about. I will try the OS46LA as a starting point and if I feel like more power I might up grade it later to a more powerful 46. I reckon it will be fine though.

Edited By Tony H on 31/12/2012 23:22:55

Tony

Model looks great. I agree with all you say about the 46LA. It should give your model good performance, without it being ballistic, and will be easy to start and reliable. Some years ago, I used one in a Flair Patriot, which was a fair bit bigger and heavier than the Magician. Performance was adequate rather than exciting, but the model still flew well.

Difficult to make direct comparisons, but my electrified Magician weighs exactly 4lb and flies on 400W, which is just over half a horsepower. This gives it almost, but not quite, sustained vertical performance. Yours should have a better power to weight ratio, even with fuel.

Good luck with the maiden - just triple-check everything and I'm sure it will be drama-free. We look forward to your debrief!

Thanks Trevor, Can't wait for the maiden flight hopefully this weekend. I may not video the first flight just incase anything goes out of shape. If shes still in one piece after that and nicely trimmed I will video it.

Now for clearing and tidying everything up, ready for my next artf then hopefully the Jester at the end of Jan. I'm likely to assemble my Eflite Twin Motor Deuces Wild next as it has been waiting for nearly 18 months now.

Hi All,

Well I have now Maiden flown the Magician in calm conditions but ver damp/misty and very wet grass strip. I have to say it was a complete success she took off really quickly even with the drag of the wet grass and the landings where even better because of the lighter weight I could come in really slowly meaning the undercarriage barely noticed touch down.

The Magician did get covered in oil after 3 flights and if I were to do it again I would consider putting both tails servos on the opposite side from the silencer. The lightweight wheels worked great too, I'm yet to really test the knife edge performance.

Here is some better outdoors photo's and a video link to the second flight after triming and some extra expo was added.

20130105_125452.jpg

20130105_125500.jpg

20130105_125509.jpg

20130105_125525.jpg

20130105_142545.jpg

This is how I arranged the electronics for perfect balance at the CofG point.

20130105_175700.jpg

Link to the Video

I'm overall very pleased with the plane and it flies excellent, I'd reccomend doing the lightening if you are going to convert to Electric or like me don't have a very big strip or a draggy grass one like mine.

Thanks for following Good luck!