Galaxy/Pegasus Magician - Lotus inspired extra lightweight Mod's

A Tragedy has occured at my flying site. My fantastic Magician is no more due to some electrical problem (we think it was the switch shorting).

I have only had the plane built and flying for about 5months then this happens!!!

It was my first flight of the day and she was flying perfectly as usual took off in feet with a nice smooth and fast circuit and then it happend at nearly full throttle the plane locked in a fast banked circuit no response from the sticks I even tried to turn the TX on and off again....but nothing.

It was a little scary as my Magaician did two circuits almost flat out without any control eveytime it came round it was lining itself back up with us in the box and the house next to us.....a bit scary. Then a slight gust of wind made the bank steeper and it was heading for the ground and impending death. The plane crashed into the ground in a near by field (luckily), unfortunatley the field have cows in an it was lucky it didn't kill one, needless to say the farmer showed his face and he wasn't best pleased.

I am now reevaluating how I do the electronics (no voltage regulators) and buying better switches from now on. I just hope it's enough.

I was hoping the Magician would have been one of my longterm planes with the engine running perfectly and with excellent flying characteristics, but it seems it wasn't meant to be......a real shame and she will be sorely missed.

Advert

Very sorry to hear that Tony crying 2

I had a 3 month old Acrowot "glitch" on me 4 years ago, and consequently cartwheel on the ground ripping the fuselage in half lengthways and the foam-core wings in 3 pieces!!......these things happen.

Personally my radio set up is basic.....I use only futaba stuff and I never use voltage regulators and the like. The simpler the better.

However, I have upgraded my Magician with a 6v Rx pack as the servos get quite a work-out when I fly. She is also on 2.4Ghz FASST now.

Try and look on the bright side.......you have air in your lungs and skills at your finger tips......you built this model to an exceptional standard.

Sorry again mate yes

Thanks Simon,

I guess the only bright side for me is the fact that my Wasp build is underway and it now has a place on my wall to be stored (just wish it wasn't the Magicians!)

I agree the simpler the better, I think it was the simplest component that failed .....the switch. I prefer to use Life batteries now as they are alot lighter, quicker to charge and hold their voltage better than Nicds or NiMh, I have had a few planes go in due to rapid voltage drops on NiMh. Sadly you have to use a regualtor with Life, however trying to learn from this I have bought better switches and 7.2v Servos, so no regualtor required.

I'm in morning at the moment crying 2

I understand Tony. It isn't nice losing a much-loved model.

I use Low Self Discharge New Technology Ni-mhs. I have tested them and after 1 month in storage I still had 95% full charge left. They have improved a lot lately.

I am sure your Wasp will be a belter. yes

My 12+ year old Magician had a mishap today!!

ooops (1).jpg

ooops (3).jpg

ooops (5).jpg

The cause was a reversed Aileron lead. I blame the groundcrew (me) for plugging it in the wrong way, and the pilot (me) for not doing a full movement check!!

This after I had just watched 7 people take and pass their "A" tests.

Lesson to be learnt. Check all throws before commiting aviation.

It is easily rebuildable.

Kev

Hi Kevin, not much fun is it. Thinking back there is one other explaination for my glitch/crash, which may be the reason the switch failed.

As I recall I left the Life attached to the switch (I usually unplug after a days flying) for nearly 2 weeks, it wasn't turned on but it is possible that the switch got hot, causing the sheath to melt a little where the switch crimps them together on the entry of the switch backbox (both wires had some bare wire unprotected at this point after crash). So that would make it my fault, I would prefer to have clear cut way of knowing. If I flew it into a tree or selected the wrong Model on the TX at least I would know it was me and still have confidence in the equipment.

Obviously I did fully charge the Life before flying.

anyone near me(ne.1)....i have a magician c/w an os 40 2st in it...its an old campaigner that has been around the block more than twice...if you want it its free(yes Free) ... collection only.....PM me....a tidy up and it will fly.....again...

ken anderson....ne..1 ....pm dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 26/05/2013 19:47:47

Being away I missed this, and I am sorry to hear of the news for both Magicians, what a great shame. It was such a well built model, but at least you had a lot of fun during the build and you have taught others (including me!) many a skill in lightening aeroplanes.

Electronics wise, we use low self discharge or Eneloop NIMH batteries which like stated above, seem to hold their charge well. This plus the receiver, switch and servos is fairly simple and works well.

Have fun with the Wasp,

CS

Posted by ken anderson. on 28/05/2013 09:18:00:

mine now has a new hangar........

ken anderson ne..1 ......... magician dept.

good by old friend.........

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

built 1997......

now away for a 2nd sorti etc...

ken anderson........ne...1 ...2nd go dept..

Edited By ken anderson. on 29/05/2013 18:37:39

• 2 weeks later...