Own design sports plane- anyone interested?

Hello from the no.1 Concorde fan.

I have started to ponder over designing my own plane for my 3rd plane. I have started drawing up some rough designs, and will soon go for full-size plans. It will be a 50-60 inch low wing sportster for a four stroke engine.

Somebody suggested to log this, so is anyone interested?

It is a long term project. I have to build my Domino over the summer holidays, so the balsa cutting will only start in October. I will do the plans over the summer, and realistically the plane will only fly by Easter next year, if that.

If there is enough interest, I may do a log. If not, I won't.

Thanks for looking.

CS

Advert

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 12/07/2012 22:17:15:

Yep very interested CS, sounds a nice project. Don't worry about it taking a long time, we'll just have to wait between installments.

A thread here may be helpful to you too. If you get to a point where you can't decide something, then there will be plenty of help.

True it will also help later on when you need to look back on how you did something or why you decided to do it that way .

Look forward to it .yes

Go for it CS, it's good to see a younger person interested in building and designing. So far I have only built from kits and I get a lot more pleasure out of building and experimenting than just flying ARTF's (not that ARTF's don't have there place too).

I feel you'll get a lot more satisfaction out of designing and building your own unique aircraft. I am still yet to do mine, it's finding the time, I still have the Magician, Jester, Sig Cub, Sig Kobra and Galaxy Piccolo to build yet (probably the last one).

Good luck with the desginning, get onto it! Maybe you could rope it in to a GCSE CDT Project?

I'm sure Mr Peter Miller will be pleased to see it too, he's the guy to speak to if you have any questions.

Edited By Tony H on 13/07/2012 00:41:04

Edited By Tony H on 13/07/2012 00:42:37

If you bought an ARTF and it didn't fly well, you'd be miffed, but if it's your own design, that doesn't fly well, it's an R&D project...

My OD Bipe is tail heavy, over Kv'ed, and under prop'ed.. It's taken 6months to get it to fly how I expected, and it's been a great learning experience, fiddling with CoG, Prop sizes, and all other aspects of it's setup.. Plus everytime it's in the air, you can't help but say 'I made that'..

Go for it, and don't worry how long it takes... The more pics you put up, the easier it'll be for peeps to help if you get stuck.. !

And you never know, you may even teach us dinosours a thing or two..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Back in the early 1960's I had two aeromodeling friends one of whom (David Murray) was an absolute ace at designing his own model planes. One which did not function too well he called the 'Killer'. I did not witness its demise but it caught fire as it was powered by a rocket (firework). Later he purchased two books which are still available I think, 'Design for Aeromodellers' and 'Construction for Aeromodellers' plus all three of us acquired wing section detail/profile sheets from the Aeromodeller plans service. Armed with all this information David's next project was a small pylon contest plane powered by a Mills 0.75. This flew extremely well until as I have detailed elsewhere crashed through someone's front room window at Epsom Downs. His last self design project before he gave up model flying in 1962 was a 5 foot span high wing model powered by a Mills 1.3. I designed and built a similar model and used his dimensions and proportions gleaned from 'Design for Aeromodellers'. The wing section we both used was 'Clark Y' and the tail section was '60% Clark Y'. As we had no access to cars in those days every aspect of the planes was 'plug-in' or similar so we could transport the planes easily on the train from Thornton Heath Croydon to Tattenham Corner Epsom Downs.

David's plane flew straight on the Downs without any deviation and on its first flight landed right next to Pete Norman and his son Marcus both well known at the time for ducted fan models. Pete and Marcus were very impressed with the plane. Eventually David sold the plane to another friend who subsequently sold it on to a junk shop to subsidise the purchase of his first radio control kit. My plane was not as well made as David's but originally had an ED Hornet for power which proved inadequate. I changed the Hornet for an ED Racer and this had more than enough power. After about seven flights on the Downs my plane decided to go into a spin and with no radio to correct it the plane piled in! The Racer I still use.

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 13/07/2012 17:02:27

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 13/07/2012 17:06:47