Corby Starlet 52" RCME sept 2012

My Corby Starlet 52" span design is published in the RCME sept 2012 publication and although the free plan is printed at 74% the model can still be build from that drawing with the RBC vacuum parts and CNC parts set, which can also be ordered through the RBC dealer Puffin models.

Hoping to get you interrested in the Corby I will post here my build pics of the 52" version and who knows will this beeing followed by the smaller version as well as a build blog on a later date.

Enjoy my build pics and I hope you like the Corby as you next project.

corby starlet (00).jpg

corby starlet (01).jpg

The dashboard still under an angle which is changes for better looks on the plan.

corby starlet (02).jpg

corby starlet (03).jpg

corby starlet (04).jpg

corby starlet (04).jpg

The wing parts slided together without any drop of gleu yet

corby starlet (06).jpg

corby starlet (07).jpg

corby starlet (08).jpg

corby starlet (09).jpg

corby starlet (10).jpg

Some more pics later.

Ton

Advert

Garbo,

Yes correct the printed plan is about 74% of the original plan but still can be used as the plan to build the model when using the cnc set.

We RCME, me and RBC are looking for the way's to go and sort this problem.

Maybe there will even be a vacuum set and cnc parts for the smaller version, but also this plan needs to be changed with the material thickness and some parts are not correct on the print.

Using the plan in the magazine can not be used for cutting your own parts it will only work with a cnc set, maybe we can solve this by sending a pdf of the corrected parts.

Will know more next week.

Ton

Whoa! Whoa! Guys,

That means there are no vac formed parts for the 74% version which, less face it, shouldn't have happened. Even on the plan as supplied it gives the span as 1325mm and it aint, is it? You're right Ton, the pofiles don't all work out correctly - I know I've cut out a set! Not everybody wants to buy the CNC set.

Good way to solve the problem? Re-issue the plan corrected to the 1325 mm span.

At 52 inches I'm sure it's a super model really want to build it, so come on RCM&E your subscribers deserve plans that work, even freebies.

Jimwing

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 31/07/2012 20:05:40:

Just for info (I'll get something up on the homepage tomorrow), the Corby plan will be re-published correctly sized in the next (Oct) issue, alongside the October plan of course.

Sounds like a good solution

Still fancy a small 4stroke in it

Seems to be some small confusion about the size of the Starlet .........................

The published plan I've got is 990mm span that's about 39". 1.5m is 59" and Ton's original Starlet is 52" isn't it? That's 1320mm.

Metric! Who needs it? No wonder the Americans stayed with Imperial - - don't suppose they call it that though eh?

jimwing

Alex,

Not exactly the same did have a search on the net for Eze-Kote and PolyC and they look water based, the PU100 is not water based its thinner based and stinks very much but is fast drying.

Eze-Kote and PolyC looks as thin as PU100.

Looks to me that Eze-Kote would be an good alternative for PU100 because, PU100 can not be send over sea so that would be a problem if you would like to have a go with it.

Ton

Alex , it could be the same see below taken from the Dutch site www.polyservice.nl

Its translated with microsoft translator so hope its clear, the yellow is because of the translator.

PU100 : Thin liquid ééncomponent polyurethane resin; contains solvents. If to apply adhesive silicone layer of polyester resin on surfaces such as wood, concrete and steel. A good adhesion to the substrate is important when carpeting of ponds, pools and sump. To get an optimal adhesion between the PS 100 and the polyester resin, a minimum drying time of 1 hour. The maximum wait time is 4 hours. The best adhesion as one obtains the polyester resin is made at the time that the PS 100 just dust free has become.The minimum processing temperature is 5 ° c.

Ton

That is a nice looking aircraft. The smaller version will probably be my next project but (and this is not meant as criticism) the plan appears to be an assembly guide for the cnc parts rather than a working drawing for the scratch builder. I know that all those interlocking tabs and slots make for quick and accurate assembly but for those of us who prefer to spend some time at the bench cutting out the parts, it looks a nightmare.

Take parts R12 and S9 for example, not only are they complex shapes but, as one piece parts, the grain direction at the top and bottom appears to be wrong to me.

Anyway, as I wrote earlier, it is not my intention to criticise the design. I know that TvM is a well respected designer and builder. I will study the plan carefully and try to simplify and re-draw certain parts.

Tony,

I don't see it as criticism smileyso please tell yeswhat you like or don't like about the design. For me its more like a learning process of how a builder would like to see his plan which motivate him to get started. I do like to design my models this way making the design hopefully as good as possible by make the building as simple as possible and for everyone to build into a flying model. The Corby was in an earlier stage designed with a kit in mind so this makes it sometimes a little over designed. I also noted that for nearly every model in the RCME there were requests for a cnc pack so what could be better than having a cnc parts set ready at hand and directly available.

I for sure would love to see a new poll of what the RCME free plan builders would like to see in a design a "simple" construction more difficult build with much less parts and less cutting to do when not using a CNC set. Or an easier build with more complex design knowing that 90% of the builders will go for the cnc set because cutting the parts by hand is just a nightmarewink .

To be honest all my newer designs will have less parts keeping in mind that there will always be modellers who will cut there own parts which I thing is great having the motivation to do so. For me also much easier because the design is much less work and an time saverwink

Have checked the parts R12 and S9 which are correct because they are cut as one (cnc) from a sheet and will be glued together with other parts on top or sandwiched to make them more than strong enough for a model like the Corby or any model.

Great knowing you like the Corby and want to build the small version , but please do check the plan first because there are a lot of parts which have deviation and need to be adjusted to, name a some : all the wing ribs W0-W9 , W17 , F0 , F11T and the fuse nose itself , FS , R1-R4 and R6. Not sure what has gone wrong causing this problem, but Iam not sure what direction RCME will go with the smaller design and drawing. If they will go only for the original drawing no problem I will adjust the parts for the smaller version and sand them by pdf to anyone who needs them for the build of the Corby. So please wait for just a little more time or start cutting the not earlier mentioned parts.

And for everyone please do tell what you think of the Corby design you will for sure help me thinking about other construction options of some more designs.

coolTon