Corby Starlet 52" RCME sept 2012

I think that with a few exceptions the free plans are not a patch on what was available in the 80's 90's

where the types published were much more adventurous. I remember a lovely all sheet Foxbat for a 25 pusher.

I would like to see the whole approach brought up to date with pdfs of formers and tricky parts available from the RCME site for printing and cutting out.

There could also be the case for plans split over a couple of issues if the prototype warrants it of the first part as a free plan and the next one online.

Why not take a leaf out of the part works guys and think bigger,

Advert

Nice Mig Graham yes

Here some more pics of the Corby :

corby starlet (58).jpg

Making preparations for the strips to simulate the wing rib stitching

corby starlet (59).jpg

With the wire tighten over the paper from side to side using the pins in the side of the board and fixing the wire to the paper with same paint its ready to cut some strips.

corby starlet (60).jpg

corby starlet (62).jpg

corby starlet (63).jpg

corby starlet (64).jpg

The first strip looks a little to width

corby starlet (65).jpg

Thats better and looks just great.

corby starlet (66).jpg

corby starlet (68).jpg

Needs some more

corby starlet (69).jpg

Think this will do the job so now comes the fun part .

But those pics will follow later.

Ton

Hi Ton,

Great model and build thread. Picked up a few handy building, covering and detailing tips from this thread and the RCM&E magazine article.laugh

Speaking of which, I notice on page 67 there's a photo of, I think, the servo to aileron control connection from the servo. At the aileron horn end, what have you used to secure the push rod? I have noticed ,whatever this form of fixing is,its becoming more and more common in usage these days.dont know

Cheers,

John.

Danny,

Thanks and yes love those details not the very small details but more the details which show big and makes that model in to a real airplane cool and it was only about 3 evening work smiley.

John,

Thanks good to know you enjoy the thread and article.

For the fixing I use a small tube with a drop of thick CA, the small tube by the way is make from the electric wire isolation. If you like an closeup pic just let me know.

Ton

Ton, thanks for replying to my post.

It would be interesting to see how many builders choose to use CNC parts. I must have too much free time because choosing the wood and creating the individual parts is, to me, very satisfying.

Not only that but I do not like spending cash when I can do something myself.

I have had a good look at the plan and apart from the wing structure it is a fairly conventional design. I can see a few areas where I think I can simplify the parts. Some of the parts, as you mentioned, do look a bit odd but that is not too much of a problem, except for the wing ribs. Are they supposed to be a flat bottom or semi symmetrical?

Ton, thanks for the pictures, I can work with those.

As soon as I have finished my current project, which may take a couple of weeks, I will make a start on the Starlet.

It must be very frustrating to get a design published and then for the published plan to be such a mess ( certainly not worth 10 GBP).

John,

Glad to be of help any project in mind you will be using it on.

Tony,

If you need more pic's or even a pdf for some of the parts which are not correct just let me know.

Very wise finishing you current project before starting the next project , I wish I could do it that way Iam always working on to many project at the same time and even thinking about even more to start.

Not really frustrating because the Corby now gets much more attention. Think its much more frustrating for RCME because they have to send an second drawing of the Corby with the magazine, must admit though that I can't wait to so the drawing and hoping to see many Corby's getting build because at the end that's what its all about.

Ton

Hi Ton,

Well, at the moment I am building - from the plans & no CNC partscrook - Alex Whittackers JitterBug and Tim Hoopers Pixi-E Major. Enjoying every moment too. It's also a great learning experience and consequently, when I saw your method of control fixing, I just had to enquire further.

I will certainly be giving it a try, probably on the Pix-E Major rudder and elevator.

Soon after completing the two models already mentioned, I would love to build your 52" Corby Starlet. Just love those outlines and proportions. Lovely model. Photo's look really good.

Thanks again, Ton.

John.

Oh dear!

Delighted to get the fullsize plan, started cutting immediately. Seemed logical to start with item FO using the pin prick and join method - no problem. Bulkheads next, using the photocopy and stick on method and bandsaw cutout, each part checked against the plan before assembly all OK.

On dry assembly it can be seen that all bulkheads save F2 & F7 are wider than item FO by about 4mm each side. So which is correct item FO or the bulkheads? Strangely though Item FB that goes underneath F7, F6 & F5 is the correct width. Compare FO with FB on trhe plan and you'll see what I mean.

Had the same problem building the 74% fues but a good sanding with a leveller stick enabled it to be skinned no problem, but the bigger size of this one will make this not as easy. Be interested to hear comments on this.

Cheers all

Jimwing

James,

Yes the parts are now in the correct size on the new plan, crying but some of the parts are not corrected to the right shape as should have been done.

Please go one page back to page 2 you will see the pics I made of my original plan with the correct shape of the parts which also includes F0.

I will make some pdf's tommorow so send me an pm with your email adres and I will send the parts in the correct shape for you to print on A4 paper.

Ton

O no they are not incompetent at all they are doing a good job, but this time something went wrong with the parts setting my Rhino program over to DXF and DWG file for RCME so that's just my mistake.

The problem with this was that I did not see it at first because I could not check the DXF program on my PC and noticed the problem when receiving the plan with the magazine.

Mentioned it in a mail and we had some talk about how to solve the problem with the size and also thought that the problem was clear with some parts which needed to be corrected, but it looks like that has been overlooked and that's really a pitty.

But the problem with the parts can be solved by sending me a pm with email adress to receive the drawings of the parts in an pdf file, so to be honest Iam hoping to receive a lot of pm's knowing you all will build the Corby.

Ton

Ton

Like John I appreciate the effort you are taking to "put things right" but it should not be necessary.

Now, following your post of the 20th I re-examine the plan(s) and find there are even more problems - no profiles for - WO, W1,& W2. You refer to some other problems in your post but superficially at least They seem OK to me.

OK I went at it like a bull at a gate I know, but I'm used to accurate plans (100% scale) and didn't see the need to examine too closely before building - Lesson learned! I will probably ditch this build now being fearful of what else I'll find, pity because I know the Starlet very well.

This to RCM&E ...................... An innacurate plan is worse than nothing, it costs money and time and at my age time is the most valuable!

If you can't ensure these "freeby" plans are accurate don't publish them. Better still - Make sure the plan is workable then publish it.

Jim

Jim,

Woooo I didn't even see that to be honest, I did not check the drawing properly because the same parts were still not correct in shape.

If the W0-W1 and W2 would have been on the drawing they would have been useless anyway because the shape is not correct.

I do hope that you will go on with the build because if you stop all my work making the design and drawing has all been for nothingcrying.

And Iam sure when your Corby flying you will forget all the earlier problem with the drawing knowing you have a great model to enjoy flying with.

Please do pm me your email adress so I can send the pdf's with the correct shaped parts.

Ton