Electric VS. Petrol/Fuel Engines

Nickaliath

Advert

For not much more than the sc 91 you can get a small petrol engine, something like the ngh17cc from just engines or a DLE 20 etc, with the price of glow fuel as it is, petrol is a very cheap equivalent and much more efficient, also much cleaner, plus with the spitfire the extra weight of the ignition and extra battery etc will come in handy for ballast up front, plus you wont need extra holes for a glow clip etc cut in the cowl, with my seagull edge 540 the cowl was cut a lot less with the ngh compared to my os 91, use a good pitts style exhaust and you probably wont need to loose hardly any of it

Just a normal starter and the ignition battery (great for weight up front where you'll need it).

The 2 stroke petrol engine will be a lot more fuel efficient, so more flight time, and as far as fuel is concerned, cheaper, and cleaner.

But it will not have the sound of a glow four stroke. However, you can get four stroke petrol engines, Saito do some but they are expensive.

You can convert glow four strokes to petrol as well.

ASP 81 looks like the correct engine... yes

CS

Go for an 81 or thereabouts four stroke, it is ample for the Spitfire and hardly protrudes from the cowl at all. I always use OS, but ASP seem to have a good reputation. Some of the other OS copies are not so good. Both Just Engines and Weston UK will do you a nice silencer and 90 degree manifold so it all fits inside the cowl, but it can get a bit hot. Don't forget that you need an air outlet (on the bottom of the cowl at the back) that is larger than the intake, particularly so if you have an internal silencer. I covered my outlet with aluminium mesh from an auto shop and it hardly shows at all.

That would help, but you may need to cut another one in the most suitable place. This is what Top Flite did.

Did you get my PM (Private message)? Look at the box on the left hand side, under the search bar. Go to 'My Messages' (there should be a 1 under it) and there you shall find a message from moi.

Happy building and IC ing! Nice to see more enthusiastic builders.

CS

Posted by Nickaliath on 08/08/2012 18:06:18:

Go for it

I have an OS 70 Surpass (Freebie!smiley), so I'll need the plan + CNC pack, and retracts to be able to start off and that comes to about £200 (not too bad for a 60 sized Spit). I may do it, it'll be a nice build project and Spits are probably my joint 2nd favourite plane (with the Vulcan and Harrier, behind Concorde of course!), and that elliptical wing, CORRR! Hmmm

I'm going to Duxford air show, so I'll probably be inspired after seeing some flying Spits! Thanks for the enthusiam!

It would look nice in the Hangar, and even better in the air. Hmmm

CS(Hmmmm!)

Posted by Andrew767 on 08/08/2012 20:33:30:

CS....As you've built a couple of kits, why not save the cost of the cnc pack and take the next step by cutting out the parts yourself?

Andrew

Could do, I'd have to make a list of all the wood needed. I'll make a list and see how it comes out price wise. We have some wood but not much.

CS

Concorde Speedbird

"Should I save up for the TN Spitfire"

Both The Topflite Spitfire and The TN one have their faults. The fuselage and the tail of the Topflite one are brilliant, but the wing is poor. It is far too thick, which makes the dihedral, even when set exactly as the plan, jigs, and instructions, look too little. Both the excessive thickness and the resultant apparent reduction of dihedral greatly detract from its appearance, both on the ground and in the air.

The TN one builds the wing in just two pieces, lacking the flat centre section. This greatly detracts from its appearance. Just can't understand why he did this.

Both tend to be a bit heavy.

Far and away the best one is from the designer who has been building nothing but warbirds and winning scale competitions with them for thirty years at least. But his plans are from one of the 'other' magazines, so I leave yo to figure out who he is.

Posted by Mark Powell 2 on 09/08/2012 07:15:1

Far and away the best one is from the designer who has been building nothing but warbirds and winning scale competitions with them for thirty years at least. But his plans are from one of the 'other' magazines, so I leave yo to figure out who he is.

I don't know! Is it Mick Reeves? Maybe the Warbird Replicas one? Who is he! You can PM me if you want.

I still like the TN one, because it flies well and for me that is the most important factor.

CS

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Mark Powell 2 on 09/08/2012 07:15:14:

Is it Brian Taylor? I DON'T KNOW!!! Who is it?

CS