Wanted, a new hack.....

I live and work in central london, and i like the idea of an electric 'hack' to throw around at the weekend. I have flown in the past, so dont need a trainer, just something that can go from slow and docile first flights to fast and fun. I like the fact that i can store it clean, with no petrol mess or smell, my girlfriend agrees!

I dont have a lot of space/ equipment/ time to build from scratch, so a ARF would be preferred. And not much space to store it so a 2 piece wing would be a good option? Hi or lo wing! preferably under £150. I dont want a complete foamie, balsa airframe with foam or built up wing.
I dont mind ugly, i'd perfer it, like a female shot putter, so i dont get attached if its gets dinged, Like an ugly stick, panic, etc.
What do you guys think of:
electro stik, ultra stick 25e, Kyosho Calmato ST EP 1400, Sebart Shark S 30E, Advance 25e, Mini Pulse XT,
Cheers boys!

Advert

Hey Sammy.

There are a few clubs in London, ok, not central, but also well within the M25, you N,E,S,W?

A model I chose because of the small size and packawayability was the Multiplex Merlin, it's a quick little powered glider, fairly aerobatic, is a full four channel, including a servo in each wing so you can configure the ailerons as flaperons/spoilerons. Has a twoplant wing and a two part tailplane so it fits into a small box.

r.

North london would be most convenient, then east, then west, although i will even go beyong m25 , n,s,e,or w if the club is good and the members are fun. I like the idea of leaving in the am and staying out for the day, so a bit of distance is not a problem.

as for the Multiplex Merlin , its a good little powered glider actually, very interesting, and one to add to my list, although coming from ugly stiks and acrowots i feel i need something larger, like the wot4 mentioned earlier, or larger.

I've just finished assembling and flying the EFlite Advance 25e. Really impressed. I bought the plane to use as an electric hack for flying on the large polo fields behind the house, rather than taking my bigger IC/Petrol stuff to the flying field.

It flys as well as my old Pulse XT40 and is build really solidly, reminds me of a Seagull Innovator or Boomerang. A very good battery hatch on the top with an innovator securing clip and tricycle undercarriage for less than perfect fields. STRONG foam core wings.

I can't recommend this plane enough. best of all its less than £100. I would however, opt for the 4S set up. I flew it initially on a 25 sized motor on 3S at 3.7Lbs AUW and although it flew OK for a low wing trainer, I found it too tame and flew on 3/4 to full throttle for most of the time. I've now changed to a 4S set up. It will be more robust than the Pulse 25 and less expensive than the Shark.

Thanks for the advice guys, im gonna make some visits to some clubs, like the wansted mfc suggested, i heard of this one before when i was living in leytonstone. So will make a visit over this weekend or the next. And see whats flying. Robin, i'll chk out your merlin!

thanks christian, robin, cs (& alan)

Just to add, the Wot 4 foam e is hard to beat. I dont like the look of it (I have one) and the fact that it is foam, but if you ignore that it does everything you want. And its a tough plane. its a nice size - I've never taken the wings off mine!

I'd be temp[ted by the Acro Wot too.

Good luck.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...