Mode 1 and 2 instruction within same club

Hogster

Mark, sorry you've taken offence, I was just being spectacularly unsuccessful in making a bit of a joke.

I certainly don't think one mode is better than the other as I've seen too many brilliant mode 1 (and mode 2) flyers who far outstrip my own humble efforts.

I fly mode 2 because it is the most natural, but also learnt to fly mode 1 to a proficient level in the early 90's as we were short of mode 1 instructors at the time (no buddy leads and computer radios then - well not in general circulation anyway)

Back to the point of the thread, I don't think this committee member at Hogwash's club has any valid objection, is he saying that the mode 2 instuctor is not safe?, because that is what it seems like.

This seems a bit daft, as I assume that he would be the one (as Area Chief Instructor) who would have passed the mode 2 instructor as fit to instruct in the first place!

I think Hogwash's club needs to get this guy to specify WHY he thinks it's not safe to teach mode 2, and if it's just his own illogical feelings, then the BMFA should remove his ACI accreditation.

Advert

• 1 month later...

Hanno Prettner flew mode one - and so did I as it was the common mode in Austria in these days.

Just after the usual long time "daughters only" (and finally a boy...) stop I restarted in mode 2 for the simple reason that I found it more natural for helis (well I am happy when I am hovering around while my boy flies inverted funnels close to the ground...)

About hand launch: I felt much better launching myself in mode 1.

Your old immigrant from Austria

VA

People should be allowed to fly the mode they feel most comfortable with as this would seem to me to be the safest way for them to fly and possibly learn to fly?

i started learning mode 1 with a professional instructor who quickly realised that I was naturally inclined to use the right stick in a mode 2 fashion. When I swapped over I was much more comfortable. Alas I had to get a mode 2 transmitter to replace the mode 1 one I purchased from an arrogant so & so in a LMS (now defunct) who took advantage of my ignorance on modes and said "you'll be wanting mode 1 laddie" no doubt as his club was nearly all mode 1 at the time. But this was nearly 20 years ago....

In my club all the accredited instructors are mode 1 flyers no doubt due to their longevity in the hobby but most of the regular (FW) flyers are mode 2.....there is some good natured banter between the modes but no hostility and everyone is keen to help each other out thank heavens.

i envy those who can fly both modes comfortably but that's not for me - particularly having seen a mode 1 instructor trying to land a mode 2 controlled Wot 4 that was in trouble and which then ended up crashed into a tree due to nerves induced confusion between throttle and elevator

As I have said before in this forum let's live and let live.....

Jon

Not read the whole thread so excuse me if already covered.

Area Chief Instructors are appointed by BMFA area committee to test candidates for Approved instructors at club level. A few years ago all area chief examiners were given an opportunity to opt in to becoming an area approved instructor also.

Approved instructors, like club examiners, are appointed to clubs. the tests for an approved instructor position are based on the Up and Away manual lessons.

Andy

Hi Alan,

I didn't say " expect" to fly , I said "capable" of flying mode 1 or 2, sorry but I wasn't implying that this be a prequisite of being an examiner it was just a general assumption that somebody at that level of the hobby would be pretty experienced and have the skills to be able to fly either mode albeit with a smaller flight envelope or repatoire.

I don't know what the rules are but I'm guessing they have no responsibility to rescue a model during a test attempt and the test pilot would still have a senior member of the club on standby.

Regards

savedbytheground