Kokam Lipo - C rating ????

Hamish

Have picked up a couple of these batteries. 2000 3S-1P 11.1 volt, Over-tec in a black wrapping with a maximum charge current of 2000mA. Can work my way round the charge socket but not sure of the C rating. Have done a quick search and whilst I thought the 1P would be 1C have seen batteries with the same 1P, but marked 15C which I hope would be correct

Any advice appreciated

Advert

3S1P (usually without any hyphen) means the same as a simple 3S -- i.e. 3 single cells in series, to give you a nominal voltage of 11.1v.

The "1P" bit is a hangover from a while back before large capacity cells became readily available; manufacturers used to put cells in parallel if they wanted to increase capacity, so 2 sets of 3 series 2000mAh cells connected in parallel would give you a 3S2P (3 series, 2 parallel) battery, 11.1v nominal, and 4000mAh capacity. Most manufacturers these days don't bother with the "P" if it's only a series pack, which is usually the case.

The C rating is something entirely different, and should be shown on the pack. If you divide the mAh by 1000, then multiply by the C number, you'll get the maximum amps the battery should be able to deliver (that is, providing the motor demands it). A 2000mAh battery that's marked 15C should therefore be able to comfortably deliver 30A.

For charging, in the absence of any information to the contrary, you should assume that the charge rate (different from the discharge C rating) is 1C; so a 2000mAh pack would normally be charged at 2A irrespective of its discharge C rating. Some modern packs can be balance-charged at up to 5C, but don't try it unless it specifically says so on the pack.

Thanks for the info Allan as that sorts the "P" out. Unfortunately there is no "C" on the pack to get any guidance as to what the maximum discharge should be. I will just go on 15C and keep an eye on it for heating. The charging maximum current has been marked.