Futaba let me down!

J Myers III

Hi all, last weekend my transmitter (a Futaba 6EXP 35mhz) decided that it was going to lose signal whilst I was flying my EDF jet which resulted in a crash with minor damage. After the crash I tried to find out what caused the loss of signal but there were no visible problems. Earlier this week I took a look at the transmitter again to see if I could see anything wrong with it but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. I have tried using it with 3 different receivers, 3 different crystals and 6 different fully charged battery packs with no luck. I tried one of the receivers with my 4ch transmitter and it worked with no problems at all. The transmitter that worked is not compatible with 2 of the other receivers (it is a different manufacture) therefore I could only test just the one.

My transmitter has also lost all data of my models, all trims, dual rates, expo settings and so forth have been deleted. A minor feature which was a sound when you turn on the transmitter/adjust trims/press buttons has also disappeared.

Is there any help that you can provide regarding these issues?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Sorry for the grey text and the disappearance of the paragraphs.

EDIT EDIT: Parargaphs are back laugh

Edited By MophixHD on 21/08/2012 20:47:43

Edited By MophixHD on 21/08/2012 20:49:52

Advert

Posted by MophixHD on 21/08/2012 20:45:38:

My transmitter has also lost all data of my models, all trims, dual rates, expo settings and so forth have been deleted. A minor feature which was a sound when you turn on the transmitter/adjust trims/press buttons has also disappeared.

Sounds like the transmitter memory has become corrupted. This sends alarm bells ringing that there is possibly something very wrong with it. Under normal use a transmitter should never loose its model memory!

Personally I'd either send it in to Futaba/Ripmax to be serviced or buy a new transmitter - likely as Ripmax won't be interested in repairing (due to its age and being on 35MHz) and quote a silly repair price. I wouldn't risk models with it IMO.

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by Mark R on 21/08/2012 21:13:14:

Ermm not sure i am 100% right, but doesnt it have a battery back up system? Bit like a digital watch battery but bigger? If its died/dying i think it would cause/possibly the problems you have.

Mark

Edited By Mark R on 21/08/2012 21:14:00

IIRC, only the very old, original Computer radios had a battery backup system as memory that retained its information on complete power loss was very expensive back then. Modern transmitters have EEPROM that retains its memory when power is removed completely.

Certainly my Futaba FF6, which is older vintage to the 6EXP, does not use battery-backed up memory.

Cheers,

Si.

Here's my suggestion. Look for a recent Futaba or JR tx with a 35meg module. Remove the 35meg module and throw it away and buy an FRSKY 2.4 module and 8 channel receiver. Worked for me for the past 2 years or more with an FF9. Perfect.

Cost - about £18 for the Rx and about £20 for the tx module.

Edited By dbflyer on 21/08/2012 22:10:01

Posted by MophixHD on 21/08/2012 21:49:49:

Thanks for the replies yes I guess I'll have to buy a new tx? Hmm, I've had my eye on the Spektrum DX8, however I hear that "anything is better than Spektrum" whilst others have no problems with their Spektrum gear. Can anyone spread some light? laugh

I would also phone up Ripmax for their opinion too. There may be a common fault on the transmitter that can be quickly/easily/cheaply fixed. After all no point getting rid of a piece of kit if it can be fixed.

However my hunch is that it can't.

Nothing wrong with a DX8, however there is better options out there.

Choices in that price range (and of my personal opinion):

• Hitec Aurora 9 - My personal favourite and pick of the bunch (which I also own).
    Pros: Excellent feature set, easy to program and very good value receivers. I found really nice feel to it and fits nicely in your hands. Apart from the bottom end Minima receivers, all the other receivers have Telemetry built in without an extra module needed. One of the few new transmitters that still has a module. So if Hitec 2.4GHz ever goes out of fashion (unlikely with Hitec), then you do always have the option of changing it.
    Cons: Updating (which doesn't happen very often) is a bit of a fiddly job. However you can update your receivers to the latest version as well, without having to send them back. J Perkins not known the best for after sales support. Supplied rechargeable battery isn't the best - however its very easy to change to a 2S Lipo for really long battery life (I get 22 hours runtime out of a 2200mAH pack)
  • Futaba 8J - I have just bought one to reverse engineer.
    Pros: A very good transmitter (as expected for Futaba). Surprisingly easy to program. No aerial to snap off. Very reasonably priced receivers (for Futaba). A reasonably priced 8 channel transmitter. Uses a standard 4-cell RX pack, so cheap and easy to replace
    Cons: Not compatible with Futaba's FASST system. No telemetry - this is something that you don't realise how useful it is until you use it - ignore all the naysayers, its likely they either don't have it or know how to use it. Not updatable - come-on Futaba, this is the 21st century, there is no reason why it can't be. Also I have found the case is very easily marked and scratched. Limited feature set.
  • Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro - Don't bother, Aurora 9 isn't much more expensive and is far better.
  • JR XG6/XG7/XG8
    Pros: Its a JR.
    Cons: Receiver range is tiny. Hideously expensive receivers. Remember these new JR transmitters are Not compatible with Spektrum DSM2.
  • Graupner MX-16 - Not seen one in the flesh
    Pros: Looks good feature set and functionality.
    Cons: Stockists?
  • Multiplex - only ever seen one in the flesh briefly.
    Pros: Again good feature set. Compressive receiver selection
    Cons: Expensive receivers again. Limited stockists too.
  • Spektrum DX8
    Pros: Everyone has one. If you get stuck, chances someone in your club can help you. Excellent receiver selection and also very cheap compatible receivers available (OrangeRX) - some quality issues on the cheap compatible receivers though. Updatable through a SD card - nice and easy to do.
    Cons: Quality issues (Google explains all) - however most have been fixed in recalls by now. Telemetry sucks. Big receiver selection is confusing. Need for Satellite receivers on DSM2 for a reliable link. DSM2 has a critical antenna setup.
  • Futaba 8FG
    Pros: Actually more than 8 channels once done a downable software upgrade from Futaba. Solid radio, very good quality. FrSky compatible receivers are as good as, if not better than Futaba's - also very good value.
    Cons: Genuine receivers are expensive. Transmitters expensive.

That's a brief overview which should get you started. Of course there is nothing better than going into a shop and testing out the radios in your hand.

As said, Aurora 9 is my favourite and I know others on here will rate it highly too. Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, the editor, Graham Ashby uses it as his main radio. No doubt he has his hands on countless systems which he can choose from...

Cheers,

Si.

Edited By Simon Chambers on 21/08/2012 22:17:11

Posted by Alan Cantwell on 21/08/2012 22:09:37:

mate of mine is selling a SUPERB FF9 if you fancy it, yours is a budget computer set, and to be honest, is not worth repairing, he will be taking the FF9 to the nats on friday

Edited By Alan Cantwell on 21/08/2012 22:11:03

Absolutely nothing wrong with buying a second hand system and putting a decent 2.4GHz module in it. Along as, like a second-hand car, it has been looked after (which no doubt your mates probably is).

However if you have the cash, modern radio's have come on leaps and bounds in recent years and offer so much more than the older computer radios.

Also a FF9 is likely to be similar, if not older vintage than a 6EXP. Going on a second hand car analogy, would you trade a 06-reg Vauxhall Corsa (which you've had from new), to replace it with a 02-reg Vauxhall Astra?

Cheers,

Si.

Edited By Simon Chambers on 21/08/2012 22:22:36

Erm i have a FF9 or 9CP etc etc as its known.....its been changed to FrSky 2.4 and its certainly not like 06 reg or 02 reg car!! Its 2nd hand does everything for planks, helis and gliders....new is good if you got the cash....nothing wrong with 2nd hand at all....

if you had been inside the FF9 and the EXP, like in have, you would know that the FF9 was no budget radio, the insides of the other one are cheap, and made to a price, hald the LMA is usng them on 2.4!!! DONT send it back to ripmax, with the shipping and handling, repair charge, its simply not worth it, please yourself, i am only trying to save you money,

Oh dear, I seem to have sturred up a bee's nest by comparing a FF9 to a Astra! smile o

Ok maybe it was a bit unfair analogy. Maybe it would have been better to say that a 6EXP is like a 2006 VW Polo (a likely age for a 6EXP), and a FF9 is like a 2002 Audi A6 (again, which could realistically be the same age as a FF9)... sarcastic

To get back to my point. Firstly, I did say there was nothing wrong with buying second-hand! Of course if its looked after, it could be a good value buy. I also didn't say that the FF9 isn't a good radio.

However I do reiterate the point, if you can afford to buy new, most of the selection of available radios now are much better than a FF9. Sorry, but its true and just progress. Like a 2012 Audi A6 is, generally, a better car than a 2002 Audi A6. Of course subjective, but as Audi engineers wouldn't intend to produce a inferior product with a newer model, Futaba engineers wouldn't either.

The way I look at a radio is that its a long term investment. Unlike a plane, its the one thing that you use all the time when going flying and probably more likely to keep longer (ok I know there are always exceptions to this!). I see it as, if you buy a £300 and keep it for just 6 years (which many keep it for far longer), then that works out as £50 a year, or £4.17 a month...

Which is not far off buying, the excellent, RCM&E monthly from a local newsagents/stockists...

Of course its entirely the OP decision, but that's how I made my, very valid decision.

Si.

Had my FF9 for 3 years now...cost me £110....had a Spekky DX7 for 4 months (brand new!!) no end of problems..sent back several times and had 'cant find anything wrong but replaced this this and this' scenario...so new isnt always better..Audi or no Audi

Posted by Mark R on 21/08/2012 23:17:18:

Had my FF9 for 3 years now...cost me £110....had a Spekky DX7 for 4 months (brand new!!) no end of problems..sent back several times and had 'cant find anything wrong but replaced this this and this' scenario...so new isnt always better..Audi or no Audi

Not a far comparison! To continue on my trend today of using car analogies, comparing a Spektrum to a Futaba is like comparing a Peugeot to a Audi. Both get the job done and probably actually have similar features (or toys, depending how you look at it), however the Audi (well you'd hope but going on some of friends cars is not necessarily!) is better quality.

Now if you was comparing, say a Futaba 8FG to at a FF9 and the 8FG was unreliable in comparison, it would be different. Incidentally the 8FG has very, very few quality control complaints online, unlike a lot of Spektrum gear. In fact very few people complain of quality issues on Futaba transmitters full stop - even if the cheaper range is noticeably cheaper built. Hence why quality issues is a con under my transmitter overview for DX8 above.

Si.

Think you will find it is a fair comparison. Futaba radios and speccy ones have been comapred on here many a time and you said that newer radios are better than older ones? So therefore i expected a DX7 to be better than a FF9...nope it wasnt...

Posted by Mark R on 21/08/2012 23:38:41:

Think you will find it is a fair comparison. Futaba radios and speccy ones have been comapred on here many a time and you said that newer radios are better than older ones? So therefore i expected a DX7 to be better than a FF9...nope it wasnt...

Mark...are you using it on 35mhz or do you have some sort of 2.4ghz module in it please.

Andrew

What a marvellous set of differing opinions. Here's mine.

DON'T buy a Futabs Fasst system. ALL future Futaba systems will incorporate S-FHSS, a recent advert from Ripmax says so. To me that is a strong indication that Fasst is dead or dying.

Don't buya Spektrum DSM2. It is obsolete. If you like Spektrum make sure it is DSMX.

Don't buy E-Sky, HobbyKing, Planet, or any other of these makes you really have never heard of. Support , spares (as in can you get servo gears in your LMS) in a year or so is pretty unlikely. It's not very good now. Modules from FrSky, Jeti, and the like come into this 'avoid' category

I use Multiplex. If forced by law or something to use a different make I would go for Futaba, due to their wide avalability, support, and because they have been around for a long time (not a 'fly-by-night' like some of these weird new makes).  But NOT a Fasst-only one.

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 22/08/2012 04:38:41

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 22/08/2012 04:39:42

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 22/08/2012 04:49:14

No.

Futaba - I just read the Ripmax Acro Wot advert and drew my own conclusions. No harm whatsoever in just buying an FHSS set. But at the present time not a Fasst only one. How long ago was it when they brought out a new Fasst only one? Ages. And they have stated that ALL new sets will have S-FHSS. As they make high end sets as well as simple ones, the 'high end' functions will work with S-FHSS. Maybe not telemetry as the prsent time. But they will, they have to. Because many other manufacturees are.

Spektrum. If DMS2 is not obsolete why are they now making DMSX sets? And why are some dealers selling off DMS2 sets cheaply?

Unheard of makes. New 'wonderful' servos come out every week. Very few of them are still available afrer a year. Probably the same with complete radios. Not always true of course, Spektrum and HITec where new and have stayed around. But it's your money, why take the chance, just to save a few pounds? One extra crash and your 'saving' is lost.

I am not one of the people who bought a new Rover car a week before they folded. The signs were large, frequent, and obvious.

Josip,

Surely at the present time Futaba 'Fasst only' sets are the worst choice of all? Futaba have stated quite clearly that all future sets will have S-FHSS. So none will be Fasst only. Buy a Fasst only set now and you are buying something that is already obsolete.

Durability Few guarantee durabiliy now, but some are better than others. The 'established' manufactures have a good reputation to protect.

Multiplex is now owned by the same holding company that owns HiTec. That holding company owns many things. It is not a subsidiary of HiTec but is using some HiTec parts. The quality is already going down (from my direct personal experience), though HiTec quality is by no means poor.

PS: there are some great new sets aroundif you have the money. Multiplex has new 'high end' one coming out any week now (The Royal series is an name they have been using for 20 years plus but has never been their true high end). Jeti have brought  one that looks good and has every feature imaginable.  Development funded by 'The EU commission of financial development for small companies' no less!  Where is your local service and supprt network you expect from a £1000 r/c product? Non existent.

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 22/08/2012 09:58:30