I need advice on buying for the first time

Darran Deighton

Hi all Im thinking of buying a Honey Bee CP2 is designed as a 3D aerobatics mini-electric helicopter, CCPM system and three ESKY Servos can ensure the accuracy and Sensitivity. 11.1v 1000mAh lithium battery extend the flying time to 15 mins at a time, 4 in 1 controller gathers functions of ESC, mixer, receiver and Gyro, facilitates the adjustment and maintenance of helicopter.
Is this a good thing to buy or do you think I should go for something smaller.

I have purchased a flight simulator which is installed onto a pc and you use a 4ch transmitter which comes with it the make of the simulator is an esky which i believe is a well known make.

Hope some one out that could advice me as i have never used one in my life but always wanted one.

Im also looking at joining a local club so hopfully I will be flying as good as some of you.Thats when I purchase the heli and recieve it

Thanks for the help Daz

Advert

Hello Darran

As Eric has said have a read of the helicopter section

As far as simulators are concerned, I personally think they are invaluable training aid for learning to fly and practicing Heli flying. In most cases - the more exspensive the better.

In brief as far as helis go - my personal recommendations

Inside flying with space/outside no wind  - Blade cx2 and similar types. very stable - good fun -but not true helis -but will teach you the basics

Inside(lots of space)/outside light wind - The Mini pred  is a good all round package for your money.  You can learn and progress to 3D in one package

Inside (size of a Gymnasium)/outside up to moderate winds  The GL 450 (a T Rex 450 clone) can be bought as an all in package heard good reports on this one and seems good value for money

IC helicopter (outside) Mid range - wind to your skill level- Thunder Tiger Rapter 50 Titan. good quality and very stable. can take you from begginer to 3D all in one heli.

This of course all depends on your enthusiasm and your budget.

Lastly try a couple of hours at training school and join a club. You will get lots of help and guidence there. 

Al

I am a complete novice to R/C flying but have always wanted to have a go.

I really fancy getting into electric heli's rather than FW and would appreciate some advice on where to start.  I have read Timbo's advice - and yes there is a local club, flying site etc., although a good model shop seems hard to find in South Lincolnshire

Whilst I do have some flying experience - I have numerous hours on real gliders, some power flying and lots of rear seat heli's (hence the attraction), I have read the online forums extensively and feel that a sim and T/R would be a good way to start in the winter months before purchasing anything potentially expensive for me to crash. 

If 2.4 is the way ahead, can anyone recommend a good sim and  T/R.

Also, I have seen numerous mention of the 'A' Test, what is the format for heli's?

Hi Shaun

All-in-one packages are a fairly cheap way to get started. However, one thing you have to understand is if you intend to get into helicopters in a big way, then I suggest you  consider a good brand transmitter. The transmitters supplied with nearly all the complete RTF models are set to work with just those and, in my mind, are not suitable for any other type. 

I agree that models like the CX2, mini pred, twister etc are a cheap way to get started, they will only teach you so much and I assure you, once the bug bites, you will want to go bigger. This certainly sounds like it from your query about the A test.

Here's the link to it, http://www.bmfa.org/achievement/index.html

Two pretty good sims are reflex and phoenix. Phoenix had a lot of influence put into it by some top heli pilots. However these are designed to work with well know radio brands.

• 2 weeks later...