Next Gt Orme Fly-In

As has been reported here in other threads, the 3 "Forum Fly-ins" that we have organised so far have all been a great success, and I think I am right in saying that each one has been better than the previous. We had 14 people at the last one, ( Sunday 6th Jan 2007 ) but actually only myself, Iawnski, and Richard Bond were forum members ( Iawnski brought 5 other club members with him, but to be honest, I am unsure as to whether they are members of this forum ). Now as the title suggests, ALL are welcome, and several of my power club members attended also, ( I did invite them ) as well as a few local regualr flyers. The weather was perfect, and every model that came out of the car flew, including my newly re-constructed, and now positively identified SAS "SKIZZO". I think we all agree that the more the merrier, and the wide and diverse range of models that arrived and flew yesterday just added to the day..

The next scheduled session is the 20th January, ( weather permitting of course ) andI guess what I am pushing for here is more forum faces to attend! I know its a long journey for some, but not bad for others, PLUS some members did request we held them on a weekend, and despite this, they still did not join us. Please try and make the next one guys ( and girls if any are flyers ) and if you need any more info on the location, directions etc..... just check back through the other 2 threads about the previous sessions. The location is superb, parking is easy and free, the walk to the slope face is approx 1 minute, nice cafe within 10 minutes ( open all day every day )  not forgetting the breakfast rendezvous at ASDA Llandudno 9.30am for sticky buns

All silent flight models welcome, it is not just a foamiefest, combat for sure IF you want, but we all appreciated the non contact stuff too, and respectful obversation is the order of the day for the big and beautiful stuff . So come on, set the date in the diaries now, and pray for great weather again.

Advert

Hi Tim

Gutted I didn't make the last one, But I did fly the S15 at Long Mynd, You'll definatly have to have a go when I come up.

I will try and earn a load of brownie points over the next few weeks and come up on the 20th,

For all those unsure " Its a great site and we are all frendly"

See you soon

Lee

Glad you got to fly at least .... Richard had his Skua too, and he was well impressed

You are already down as attending the 20th so no excuses now

bring her with you and leave her in the shops ...with a credit card of course...and then you are home and dry ....if a little skint

I was well pleased with the skizzo, flew like it was on rails, very pleased.....for a crunchie

There is no road name, nor postcode Eric. To access the site you drive around the main "Marine Drive" toll road of the Lllandudno Great Orme. Head for Llandudno pier, and then follow signs for toll road, alternatively use the full instructions I posted on the original Fly-In details, which has the added bonus of legally avoiding the toll charge !

Once on the marine drive tollroad, ( one way ) look for the "Rest and be thankful" cafe, then turn next left, and you are there. Dead easy. 

Choice number 2.

Take the scenic ( and £3 charged) toll road around the marine drive. As a Conwy borough Council ratepayer, this is my preffered option for all you non locals .

Proceed around the one-way drive enjoying the view as below....

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/eunos800/startdrive.jpg

keep going....making mental notes of suitable places to jump in if you "land out" during the flying session...yes it is cold, and very wet .

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/eunos800/continuedrive.jpg

After a few more minutes admiring the view, you approcah a junction, with a road off to your left, ignore this and proceed straight on, avoiding the goats and sheep, and you will then arrive at

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/eunos800/randb.jpg

The world famous "Rest and be Thankful" cafe.

If you are wondering about the name, then simply ignore the first part of the instructions, and leave your car at the toll gate and walk instead...all will become clear...

Now, after passing the cafe, you will see a concrete ribbed road, off to your left.

Drive up this road for approx 1 minute, and join in the fun

If you see the view below, you are dumb, 'cos you passed this road, and have gone too far. This is bad news, as it is a one way system, and you shall have to complete the entire route again !! LOL

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/eunos800/toofar.jpg

Option 3 below....

This one avoids the toll charge ..... unless of course you have a residents season ticket like me - Yippee

Get to Llanduno ( see first map AGAIN ) and find the main shopping street ( Mostyn ) go right to the far end, and it becomes, surprise surprise, Upper Mostyn Street. At the top of this slight hill is the finest Hotel in Llandudno the "EMPIRE" see below. It's the reddy /purpley cross on the map

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/eunos800/empire.jpg

Now, turn right at the top of the hill, then IMMEDIATELY left up another winding hill. You are now going uphill all the way to the tram station half-way point.

Its steep Very steep.

Soon, you will see the tram lines, just follow 'em to the aforementioned halfway station.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/eunos800/halfwaysign.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/eunos800/halfwaystation.jpg

After you pass the station on your right hand side, take the road that branches off to the right. Follow it all the way, it starts to drop down, just keep going.....pass the little church on your left, bendy winding road , and eventually you will join the main Marine drive road.

Turn left ( if you turn right you will likely die with the impact from oncoming traffic along the ONE WAY ROAD!

Now follow the instructions in choice number two, from the bit where it says...

"ignore the road on the left, and keep straight on, avoiding the goats and sheep".

CU there

hi guys  great directions tim /think ?one of our club members no name of course ?oh ok then ((dangerous davies )) had a good walk down to the beach nearly? oh sorry someone else went to get it crafty  ????/ anyway after having a good flight with his condor he landed and threw off straight away ????? bad news the lift went this being a bit heavy model after a few- sorry a lot of previous arrivals/  decided it did not like the slope and went down and down and down past the road ?and then handed me the tranny and said get it back up WHATTTTTTT MIRACLES YOU AFTER DAVIES/ any way it landed .may i say thanks to the modeller who went and got it must be a mountain goat cheers friend  a smashing day out  blooming lovely//lee you still got the p51 bring it down for next meet would love to c it go /glad you had a good time at lm cu all soon kev iawnski

Same here Andy....conditions were pretty nice in the AM huh

Look forweard to seeing Andy ( the flying postman ) as Rahme calls him tomorrow for a good ribbing then !!  - I'm sure he will admit all under pressure from us both

Mind you...wifey nearly re-kitted my Skizzo on one memorable occasion. Glad you had a good day - boy some of those composite jobbies of yours dont half go ! makes my fast powered stuff look slow.

Hopefully see you on the 20th. 

Just a reminder about the forthcoming Gt Orme session again.

Weather permitting ( and it usually does ) 10AM at ASDA Llandudno cafe, where you can have breakfast, and collect the obligitory sticky buns to offer to me later with a nice hot coffee on the rock!

Full directions are posted here a bit higher up, and if anyone needs any more info on any aspect of the day, PM me via the forum, and I will give you a contact telephone number for myself.

Iawnski crew ...please bring the pegboard again if possible, for those folks still using 35 Mhz