Downloadable plans?

Martin_H

What about it, Model Flying?

Selling plans online as downloadable .pdfs - lots of people doing it with old plans (hopefully in the public domain) but what about making plans available by download as they are published? That way I can get an interesting plan quickly, store it on my computer till I am ready to build then get the local OfficeWorks to print for me when I want. Free magazine plans if you are an electronic subscriber? Have a download in the mag on line!

Who would be interested?

Advert

If the plan is in .pdf(adobe) there is no need to take it to the local printers, as long as you don't mind joining up A4 sheets to make a full size plan. Use the poster/tile print option. Or, use 'Tile Print' or 'IsiPlot' software, both downloadable from 'tinternet for a small fee.

Oh I say you've discovered one of my favourite past tiimes, I spend hours(literally) just perusing Outerzone and wanting to build them all but building none of them. I do however marvel at the various designs and pay particular attention to the fascinating array of construction techniques. Great stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Posted by martin stokes on 25/08/2012 12:41:57:

If you are looking for plans for a vintage or old timer aircraft have a look at **LINK**

And if Outerzone doesn't have what you want, Hippocket Aeronautics might...

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/index.php

You'll need to register to the forum AND the plans gallery to download or upload, though.

Selling PDF, DXF, DWG, etc. files is a bit tricky: it is so easy to copy, share and distribute files. Sell five and soon everybody has a copy. Not good if you're trying to recover some of the cost of producing the plan.

I suppose giving out PDF files could work from a marketing angle where the file would somehow push people towards buying something.

Posted by Nick Sakulenzki on 07/09/2012 02:28:55:

Im looking for plans for Nigel Hawes 45 inch Tucano or a kit if available.

Nick I suggest you look at the 2013 Mass Build area on this forum. (Use the search box)

Around 45 people have alteady signed up to build a NH Tucano.
The Plan and canopy have been discounted and there's a wood pack available soon.

Oh and welcome to the forum

• 7 months later...

Tiling does work okay but use the biggest size paper your printer uses. My local Officeworks does A0 but not continuous plotting. So far I haven't had any issues with tiling, even down as small as A4, plus the benefit is you can photocopy the tiled pages, especially formers and ribs, etc, and iron them backwards onto balsa or ply. Like all paper printing, check the scaling is spot on before cutting valuable timber.

My original thought was that the digital copies of the magazine dont have the (free) plans and I have to wait until the subscription print copies hit our antipodean shores. Give us the plans as a downloadable .pdf with the online issue and I wouldn't need the hard copy, mag or plan!