Help! 4 stroke equivalent question

Nick Williams

Hi all, After a 4yr break from model rc (not by choice) I'm looking at gettin airborne once more. I'm currently looking at the seagull swift 40 plane but I'm wanting to fit a 4stroke motor instead of a 2. The manufacturer recommends a .46 2 stroke so I'm guesstimating I'm going to require something around the .56-.60 size? Hope someone can help and i welcome any input, thanks in advance

Nick

Advert

Hi Nick

An SC 52 four stroke should fly the model well and will be nicer to fly that a 2 stroke. I use this engine in my Black Horse travel Air and it flies very well. It should have just the right amount of power for the Swift. Not too much and not too little. Just my humble opinion.

JC

For a four stroke I go for 50 percent bigger than a two stroke, as a rough rule of thumb. OS every time, other than below. Though as far as I have have seen, OS 'superiority' is not by much.

The 'CD' RCV engines are good, and cowling is easy, on a Spitfire and the like, as they are not as tall as the rest. Sound a bit rattly at tickover. Don't bother with the 'longitudinal' ones.

what stage where you at when you left the hobby? i would hate to see a 4stroke get rolled in a ball in a trainer, they do suffer mishaps, what type to get? OS will last years longer, their build and metalurgy is far superiour to the chinese copies, but seeing as the average engine does not stay in the hands of the buyer for long, then go with one of the clones,

The alternative to the SC52 might be the ASP 61 which is physically the same size as an SC52, indeed many of the parts will be interchangeable. It should be lighter, being a bored out version of effectively the same engine. It will have just a little more power, and they tend to be sweet, and long lasting. My son has one in a Black Horse Renegade, and it's a nice combination.

why are Saitos better than O.S.? i too have both, the finicky ones are the Saitos, but not by much, the metalurgy in both is top drawer, the build quailty and machinng is above top notch on both makes, i cannot call it for one better than the other, and while we are on fourstrokes, dont forget Enya, now they do last forever, just last week, i stripped and changed the bearings in one for a mate, de-gummed it, reassembled, set it, and it was away first flick , like it had just come out the shop, the thing had not run for 20 years,