Sycamore - a new design

Richard Elliot

Tim

Yes its the usual 996r's up front and a smaller one for the rudder eg Hitec hs81mg.

I think if bigger packs are used then there will be a nose heavy balance issue....and a 4s 3000 gives about 6-7 mins flight time anyway. Ive even flown mine on a single 3s 2200 although I think about 4mins gentle pootling was all it gave me!

Thanks for the pm with the feedback....some food for thoughtyes

Cheers

Rich

• 1 month later...
Advert

Ok all done except the 1st flight. So here are some pre flight pics.

img_0469.jpg

img_0470.jpg

img_0471.jpg

img_0473.jpg

img_0474.jpg

img_0477.jpg

img_0478.jpg

img_0487.jpg

img_0482.jpg

img_0492.jpg

img_0493.jpg

Following these shots I carried out some taxi trials outside the house (I live in a Cul-De-Sac). Got the blades spinning OK but I had trouble with the tracking. I tracked this down to the rear off side wheel binding in the spat. One comment though: just like the Gemini you HAVE to keep dead into wind when the blades are really going! Get it off the wind and it tips over. Next step some gentle hops on the soggy patch when the wind drops a bit.

Oh and the blades are my spare Gemini ones, not all that good for lift so I will be knocking on AJ's door next week.

Edited By Big T on 02/02/2014 17:03:37

• 2 weeks later...

Maiden Flight done!! After 2 hops to get the feel of the pitch and roll I went for the circuit on the 3rd hop straight into the setting sun!! (will I never learn). A couple of clicks to get the nose level in cruise (mine was set a little nose heavy for the test flight), nothing in roll needed at all as Richards basic set up figures are spot on. Landing are a gentle non event and the 3 rd take off was hands free. I reduced the roll throws and dialed in -10 expo on roll as well. But even without that it is a real pussy cat to fly and very easy to orientate due to the size the rudder is very efficient and ground handling even on the rough patch I flew off today was good. Unfortunately bad light stopped play for these tired old eyes and I did not have my flying buddy with me to take a video so that will have to wait till next time. Excellent design and would make a great second model Gyro for a Panther man. For those interested the blades where my spare home made ( no wind) Gemini set, motor is a GT 2826/06, prop ARC elec 13x6.5, 4s 3000 LiPo.

Posted by Richard Elliot on 16/02/2014 20:28:48:

Tim

That really is excellent news, I'm so pleased it flies well. What did you end up with right thrust wise......It need to go on the plan.

Thanks for doing the beta build and for the feedback. Look forward to getting two up together!

Rich

Stuck with your suggested rightb thrust but I have not had enough stick time to decide if its correct or not and as said my GT2826/04 is not gutsy enough. A bit more KV would be nice.

Edited By Big T on 17/02/2014 20:09:59

Rich is absolutely correct, the motor of choice is the GT2826/05. Got mine from Coolwind yesterday and bolted it in this afternoon. Here are the figures:

4s, 70 amp Red Brick ESC, 13x6.5 APC Electric Prop, 524 Wp, 40.95 Amp, 0.082 ah, 12.38 Vm

9,500 rpm. Feels much nicer on the throttle when you gove it the beans. When I can get it outside I will put the digital strain gauge on and get a thrust figure. Looking forward to flying it again when the wind drops.

To answer the other question about radio set up. I fly with a Futaba 14sg with the model type as Flying Wing 2 aileron, normal tail. When you select this mix it will tell you to plug the ailerons into 1 and 6 channels. When you do this you may get either correct roll incorrect pitch movement or incorrect roll and correct pitch movement. There is nothing in the manual about how to change this, if you reverse the direction of the servos you end up with all kinds of shananigans . What you do is switch the servo plugs over, put 1 into 6 and 6 into 1. Don't ask me why but it works Don't be tempted to set it up as ailivator as you wont have any roll trim.

• 2 weeks later...