brushed to brushless

Noel Eaton

Hi,

I,m still learning much about R/C flying and have recently passed my "A" cert

I just bought a Flair Puppeteer model at our club swap meet,

It currently has a Speed 700 brushed motor with a gearbox, turning a 14 x 12 prop, the previous owner says this is just about powerful enough to fly it in a sedate scale way with just pottering around as the norm, he ran it on a huge pile of nicad(?) cells,not supplied ,I,ve never used brushed motors or anything other than lipo batteries and dont really know much about them

I want to change it to a brushless motor which I am more familiar with, and upgrade the power to give me a "get out of trouble" ticket and maybe even allow for some airobatic action,

What brushless motor would you suggest ? nothing outrageously expensive please ,I,m on a fairly tight budget for this project

Your comments, hints, tips and suggestions are all invited,

Thanks Noel

Advert

Thanks for your input Ben B ,

I think there will be a significant difference in weight in the front end when the Speed 700BB Turbo comes out of there,and I believe the nicad batteries were quite a lump too, Am I likely to have to put half a church roof in the front end or can I get around it some other more productive way ?, this model seems quite heavy already to me

I,ll weigh it later ,
Noel

I have a motor in hand but I,m not sure if it will be suitable can someone help me with the maths please ?

it says on the motor casing

"EMAX power the world

BL2820/07 Prop 11" - 12" 11.1V - 14.4V"

Theres no other information given or written on it anywhere

so I,m not sure how to work out the power of the motor in volts,

Thanks Noel

Thanks for the input gents,

the link to the "data sheet" is great , thanks very muchsmiley

I,m really wanting to upgrade for some" blistering" performance as opposed to "marginal" (which I,m told is the status quo)

With that aim in mind I will be looking for a brushless motor more appropriate to that goal,

I have in mind as an end product here, a robust and powerfull winter hack,

the model certainly seems robust so I just need the POWER,

I want to put floats and skis on it to play in the snow and ice, drop bombs ,carry cameras,leap tall buildings, stop trains with it,s prop wash and such, or at least handle a bit of winter flying conditions at my local field

Has any one done some thing similar to either a Flair Puppeteer or a similar type/size model,

What power set up did you use and how satisfied were you with the outcome/performance ?

All suggestions, comments, ideas, tips, thoughts,advice,opinions,anecdotes,offers,etc etc most welcome,

Thanks Noel