Just bought a 2nd hand sloper

Posted by Devon Flyer on 09/01/2013 17:04:29:

I still reckon it could be a PMP Esprit.

Wing span is about right and the fin looks the same shape.

Hmm, hard to say isn't it!

sloperider1.jpg

I have however got it ready to fly, I have found a suitable slope or two for it so hopefully at long, long last..., well let's see!

Ian

• 1 month later...
Advert

Whatever it is, it's flown at last teeth 2.

Mrs. J picked up on an offer of a half decent stay at an hotel in Llandudno and took to the act of a "perfect RC wife", well it was only a walk on part really, normality has returned now. Anyway of course my first reaction was to shout for Timbo and happily he was free last Monday.

We had already assesed the available lift with our foamies - good and smooth but not massive. I checked what Tim thought of my control throws and we decided they would be okay, so with nothing else to check up on and no excuses left Tim chucked it off the Great Orme into the north easterly. It started losing height straight away, a tiny over correction by me followed as I found out how the model reacted to elevator inputs then it just gently slipped out into the rising air. An absolute doddle, a little trimming for that pitching down and a click or two on the ailerons and it was sweet as a nut.

Exciting, well yes and no. A maiden flight of a model type I haven't flown before is exciting and I'm thrilled to have another sloper at my disposal. A resereved "no" is just that the available lift was decaying and I couldn't get a lot of penetration to gain much speed for aerobatics - I did do a slow roll but it was meant to be rather quicker than it turned out crook. No big issue but since I couldn't gain any great height to dive from either I decided to save further exploration for another day and bring it in for a landing. First attempt wasn't bad but I overshot and so on the second attempt I went a little further down wind - a little further downwind too much and landed short. No harm done apart from a bent rudder push rod - a clear sign that a modification is needed.

Happy? You bet. I love my IC power flying but it's quite different having on board thrust. Flying the elements with only pitch to control speed is something else and I'm loving that too.

postmaiden.jpg

Ian

(I think it's closer to a PMP Esprit than a Phase 6 too! Oops p'haps I shouldn't start that going again wink 2)

Edited By Ian Jones on 27/02/2013 18:14:42

I agree with Alan I beleive this is an early 90s design Secret Weapon by Sailplanes International. Very similar to a Phase 6 in size and styling but a Secret Weapons elevator increases in width towards the tips, a Phase 6 is a constant width all the way across. The nose if either P6 or SW just has'nt been shaped both designs are much more curvaceous.

Of couse it could be bits of both either a Phase Weapon or a Secret 6, the only real way to really know is in the construction. I only have experience with a number of P6's where the fuz is 1/16th ply sides and bottom with a 1/2 inch carved sheet top and triangular longerons from obechi.

Hope this helps your identification, but glad to hear its flying well wot ever or not it is.

Mark L

Edited By Mark Lane on 27/02/2013 21:13:11

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...