Motor for Ripmax Spitfire?

Hi all,

I've just purchased a Ripmax Spitfire and I'm pondering on what motor to put in it.  Any recommendations, bearing in mind ease of fitting etc?  I've seen that quite a few people are using the Axi 2820/10 but a hobby shop fairly local to me stock the Dualsky range and I'm wondering if there's a reasonable equivalent there.

Anyway, just be very interested to here what you've kitted your Spit out with.

Cheers,

Tim.

Advert

Well that particular AXi is suited to 12 -13 " props, on at least 3 LiPo cells ( which I presume you will be using ? )and has a KV of around 1000. Maximum current is around 35A, so I guess we are talking about 350 Watts plus. Just look for an equivalent with those sort of specs.

This would probably be OK, but use a small pitch prop to keep the amps down to around 25+

dualsky motor at Als

No, I think this will be fine also, although slightly heavier....and you know what that means dont you

having now bothered to to look up your intended model, I see the quoted weight of the model is only 3.2 lbs, so for a reasonable scale like flight ( and you wont want to be racing this around like a hotliner WILL YOU! ) Assuming that is the AUW.

75 watts per pound should be plenty, so you only need about 250 watts, which on a 3s pack @ roughly 10.5V is.....24A.

So I would aim to prop it for 25A WOT, which just happens to be the peak efficiency range for the second motor you found...well done my boy

You are quite right Timbo in that I don't want to be tearing around the sky like a maniac!  My only reservation really is that I don't know what the quality of the DualSky brand is like.  I've used their ESCs on two occasions now, so far without any problems.  The advantage for me is that the stockist is just a five-minute drive from my place of work, so I can nip in there on the way home and I avoid postage costs etc., plus I satisfy my impatience to get on with the build!!

Cheers,

Tim.

Thanks very much for the comments guys.  The fragility of the motor mount is noted and I'll beef it up a bit.  I too have read a few reports of elevator failure so will think about some strengthening there as well.  Having said that, a similar warning has been issued a few times in respect of the elevator on the Seagull Extra 300 EP but so far I've not had a problem.  Then again, I don't do many elevator-testing aerobatics yet!

Cheers,

Tim.

But wrong size? They are Mini as opposed to micro servo's if I'm not mistaken in the Ripmax range? You will need [as the aileron is old fashioned single servo operation] an HS81MG or similar [GWS MG Mini is pretty good too....but noisy!] for Aileron, and to be honest, at least hi-torque, better MG for elevator.....on a hot set up, this thing tramps on. I really wouldn't bother trying to fit Sub-Micro's, others have tried....and failed!

Well it did say in the specs that I read, micro servos are recommended, and I always classed the 65s as micro. However, other sites recommend minis and Scotts recommendation of 81s is therefore better. The 81 has better torque too, and for around the same money.

Serves me right for not checking the model specs properly first