max thrust j3 cub green

gary watson 1

Advert

I've got one (albeit with another name on the box). These are my thoughts:

Main 'construction' problem for me was getting the wing struts to seat propely. I had to bevel the ends so they would push into the wings.

The plastic parts are quite a different shade of green to the foam. I sprayed mine a suitable matt green and are now much better.

They do need a pilot in the office.

Battery compartment could be a bit tight depending upon the battery you use. I use a 4s 2200mah lipo which fits fine and balances well. Trouble is only gives about 8 mins flight time.

One of my aileron servos does not centre as well as the other.

For some reason the elevator needs re-trimming for every session. Can't work that one out.

Undercart can be a bit fragile on grass. Strengthened the lower arms with thin wire and wrapped thread round before soaking with cyno. The triangular parts were strengthened with thin ply both sides and painted green. No probs since this was done.

Fly's great and looks the part in the air.

Hope this helps.

Totem hobbies did send me the j3 cub but when i opened it it was bright yellow,after a quick phone call and a couple of days later it arrived .I just opened the box to check the contents and it looks all there i must admit it does look very nice.Thanks for the tips Tony will keep them in mind.The only negative would be the instruction manual, to say its poor would be an understatement.Tony what size pilot fits this model?

I totally agree about the instructions! Tiny pics with little or no text. These should help here

As for a pilot I used this guy:

Its the civi JP Pilot and I think I used 1/7th scale. I cut a bit off the bottom as he sat a bit too high. I painted the jacket olive drab to give him a military look.

Flew mine today. 2 good flights and the modified undercart is holding up well. teeth 2

Yet another by the way!

The pilot should sit in the back with the observer/passenger in the front.

The flight battery is loaded aft of the COG. So push it as far forward as you can. Wrap a bit of ribbon round so that you can pull it out without pulling on the wires. I wedge mine in place with a bit of scrap foam as any rearward movement of the battery can severely affect the COG.

I do like all the "by the ways" you sent Tony especially the link to how to put the under carriage together,now i can see what goes were.

At the moment every bit of decent weather sees me up at the field, trying to get as much tuition in as possible, before the weather turns for the worst, so the cub is still in the box.Well will need something to do in the dark days of winter.Thanks again Tony.

Gary