First build -which model?

Jimstab

Having "built" and flown many ARTF models of various types and sizes as well as quite a few free flight traditional kits as a youth (balsa from plans with tissue covering) I am looking to embark on my first traditional build in 30+ years.

Could anyone please advise on either a kit or plan that would be appropriate. I would preferably like to go for a sport or scale model and have a .60 2 stroke engine that I would like to utilise for this project. I am not confident at this stage that I would be able to tackle cutting out balsa and ply for a plan only build and I cannot seem to find may shops with kits that I think suitable.

is the rcme plan service the way to go with CnC parts? If so, are sufficient instructions provided.?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Hi Jim

Welcome to the forum, lots of freindly helpful people here. I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions.

We are soon to embark on a "Mass Build" which is designed for beginners to join in with. Hopefully we'll decide on a model and a good number of us all build the same one, helping each other out as we go along. If this appeals to you, pop the words mass build into the Search box above and have a look at the threads.

Which ever way you decide to go, there will be plenty of help here.

Cheers
Chris

I think I am correct in saying RCME & MyHobbyStores plan service NEVER supply any written instructions at all when you buy plans ( except a few notes on some plans ) You need to get the magazine article or specify the magazine date & buy a photocopy of the article at extra cost from MyHobbyStores. This probably applies to all othe UK magazine plan suppliers.

If you buy from RCM Plans in USA they always seem to provide a copy of the article free with the plan. (RCM was one of the best magazines but no longer published but plans are still sold )

Most older traditional plans need very few ply formers to cut but recent ones seem to need very involved formers probably to entice you to buy the expensive ready cut parts.

Most of the Peter Miller plans seem to need little cutting. Try one of those but they are usually smaller than .60

Check out DB Sport & Scale for their kits and also Plan Packs. Good British kits mostly designed by David Boddington.

Edited By kc on 29/09/2012 19:18:09

Why do you hesitate to cut out the parts yourself?

Cutting ply is just the most simple woodworking task . Just a hand fretsaw, coping saw etc will do or a power fretsaw is only 76 pounds from Axminster etc. Ply is cheap and you just try and cut to the line or try again. A Permagrit tool will clean up the edge and reduce to exact size. Or a file or glasspaper can be used ( not as quick or easy as a Permagrit ) A fine handsaw or Japanese pull saw will cut the straight bits if you want.

Balsa is even easier just use a scalpel or a Stanley knife and ruler for thicker balsa or thin ply.

Transferring the shape to material is easy-- just a photocopy stuck on with double sided tape. ( there are other ways too )

Consider the Sonas 60 ( Traplet Plans ) or Ultrasport 60 (RCM plans or a kit from USA ) for a simple 60 size aerobatic model.

sounds like you like built up structures, DB sport and scale have been mentioned, and also cutting your own parts, with DB, there is the best of both worlds, they can offer plan packs for some of the older designs, and kits for the newer, more popular ones, check out the DB skyrider& ghostrider series, lovely builds, and great flyers