Seagull Spacewalker II

PB

Having become reasonably competent at flying my first model, a foamy Multiplex Twinstar II, I've bought my second model which is the slighly more adventurous Seagull Spacewalker EP II.

I was surprised to find that the build instructions for the Spacewalker does not specify the motor / propellor combination required, they just say you need to buy a motor and a propellor - hmmm. However, several of the model shops selling this model recommend a brushless 4255 motor, 715 rpm/v generating 740 watts with a 12 x 6 prop which costs around £90. On a quick internet search I've found other motors, much cheaper, which seem to fit the bill particularly an 5045 motor by Overlander 750 rpm/v generating 1250 watts but with a 13+ prop which costs just £39.

I know this is a minefield, but I'd welcome any thoughts on what power set I should be going for for this model which has a 1.6m wingspan and weighs around 2.5Kg. I'd be particularly interested in comments from any Spacewalker EP II owners out there, and what power sets they've used.

Thanks.............

Advert

Great...thanks for the links, very useful. The XYH 50-45 motor on Giantshark looks fine, and at a good price too, but its maximum recommended model weight is 1.5Kg which is 1Kg less that the Spacewalker weighs. I suppose at that price though it's probably worth getting that motor to see how it flies the model with, say, a 12 x 6 prop and if it's a bit underpowered there's not a lot lost and the motor will keep for another model.

I think I'll do that. Thanks again for the help and advice.

Yes I've been looking round the Giantshark motors - spoiled for choice !! I've done a bit more research on other people's Spacewalkers and the Turnigy G45 motor seems a popular choice with a 13x6 prop. The Turnigy G45 is a 750W motor, so I think the 4260 you've pointed out with 900W available should do the job. Thanks again...

Edited By Morvargh on 02/10/2012 12:56:25

• 1 month later...