Parachute jump from space

Advert

Commentary on the live feed says the balloon cannot be reused but they do have a backup one.

Today has apparently been a frustrating one with first a weather delay and then a radio problem.

5 hours after the planned time, the balloon was inflated but then the mission was aborted due to gusty winds. Within 10 minutes the wind was low enough again, but the abort decision had been made.

There will be another attempt another day, maybe tomorrow.

I know someone did it from the sort of edge of space years ago, still actually in our atmosphere etc. But Ive always thought the temperature of re-entry was supposed to be terrific, thats why the space shuttle is covered in those little ceramicy plate thingies and meteor`s burn up etc so how is a human supposed to do it ?

Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 09/10/2012 19:19:22:

Shame, hopefully he can do it in the next few days, and more importantly that he survives.

He will apparently break the sound barrier, so he will be the first person to break the sound barrier un-aided and the first person to do so not in a military jet since 26th November 2003 (had to mention it!)

CS

I broke the sound barrier shouting at this screensmile o

Posted by Garbo on 09/10/2012 20:39:39:
Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 09/10/2012 19:19:22:

Shame, hopefully he can do it in the next few days, and more importantly that he survives.

He will apparently break the sound barrier, so he will be the first person to break the sound barrier un-aided and the first person to do so not in a military jet since 26th November 2003 (had to mention it!)

CS

I broke the sound barrier shouting at this screensmile o

How and why?cheeky

CS

sorry folks but its all a bit old hat ...google Colonel Joe Kittinger and project excelsior and look on youtube for footage

jumped from 103,000 ft back in 1960 - long before the possible consequences were fully known...on one jump he entered a flat spin rotating at 120rpm and blacked out - auto parachute saved his neck. Not to be put off he made other jumps and even loss suit pressurisation and had his hand swell up to twice its normal size ....eeek.

All altitude records and speed records but as it was military tests they stayed 'in house' with the USAF and didnt make official records but still got a DFC and is a cast iron legend in my book.

Not to take anything away from the new chap but its just higher with newer kit, full understanding of the dangers and better back up. Joe K just said 'i'll give it a go and jumped !

Rich

I can kind of see what you mean Richard, in those times many people just said 'let's give it a go!'

For example, (here we go again!) on 9th April 1969, the late Brian Trubshaw and his crew were experiencing problems on Concorde 002 while doing some fast taxying at Filton. The plane had never flown, but then Trubshaw just decided to take off, 'giving it a go', and he did, making the first flight of a British Concorde.

The radio altimeters failed during the flight, which were crucial for landing because of the high angle of attack, so landing would be very difficult. But he did it, and well. I think he was 0.5 seconds out from what he said in a documentary, there is a small bounce in the landing that you can just see here but a superb landing in difficult circumstances (and better than me with my Funfly!).

Completely off topic but an interesting story (well I think it is anyway)

Still, hopefully this guy will pull off his jump!

CS

still a touch off topic but Mr Trubshaw was a customer of mine till he died. He lived in a nearby town and i serviced his car ! we also had the concorde pilot John Cochrane at our club when as a publicity stunt he was challenged to fly a radio control concorde built by a club member. He flew it successfully and we have photos on the club website smile

Rich

Posted by richard cohen on 09/10/2012 21:06:44:

sorry folks but its all a bit old hat ...google Colonel Joe Kittinger and project excelsior and look on youtube for footage

jumped from 103,000 ft back in 1960 - long before the possible consequences were fully known...on one jump he entered a flat spin rotating at 120rpm and blacked out - auto parachute saved his neck. Not to be put off he made other jumps and even loss suit pressurisation and had his hand swell up to twice its normal size ....eeek.

All altitude records and speed records but as it was military tests they stayed 'in house' with the USAF and didnt make official records but still got a DFC and is a cast iron legend in my book.

Not to take anything away from the new chap but its just higher with newer kit, full understanding of the dangers and better back up. Joe K just said 'i'll give it a go and jumped !

Rich

Rich, hear what your saying and Kittinger is actually part of the team for this jump. The new guy is jumping from 120,000 feet and testing a new pressurised suit that NASA are following.