Vulcan XH558 BIG NEWS

Concorde Speedbird

Hello all

After receiving the latest Vulcan E-Newsletter the news is that 2013 will be the last flying season for Vulcan XH558, and probably for all Vulcans at that. To carry on after 2013 would mean spending £200,000 as well as their usual service costs on a wing strengthening for safe flying for another year or so, but they have decided it is not worth using supporters money for that.

It is sad news, if you want info please sign up to the e newsletter on their website.

They need significant funding for the winter service this winter, so a donation would be greatly helpful so XH558 can bow out in style.

CS

Advert

It is quite ironic that the Vulcan's final year of flying will come 10 years after the other 4xOlympus delta, Concorde. I am sure that the public reaction will be similar as well.

Remember that XH558 will need your help this winter so we can all go and see a Vulcan flying for the last time. Yes it is sad, but let's celebrate the terrific success with a stunning final year.

CS

There are lots of factors, the engines being one of them as you say along with life expired components and Airframe fatigue, including the wings. Sadly it will probably also see the last flight of a V-Bomber, as obviously a Valiant won't fly again and the Victor is unlikely.

It was good while it lasted and we still have a fantastic farewell season next year as long as they raise the funds for winter.

CS

Good I won't have to listen to the constant begging for money anymore! I thought the Vulcan would be flying for about 10 years from what was initially said. Oh well things could have been different if people had managed to sort paperwork out and remove Silica gel bags from the intakes!

CSB,

I'm glad ou have enjoyed watching the 'Tin Triangle' flying, I for one will not be donating any more money though. The gloss was taken off the VTTS when they had the fiasco at waddington in their second year. Being sworn at because it was not flying because I was in uniform and somehow it was my fault was not very nice.

Other things such as the silica jell bags in the intake, a business plan that seemed to revolve around telling the public if they didn't donate the jet would be grounded or sent to the states and RP taking a wage of allegedly 75K per year have not really helped change my mind.

I've donated enough over the years and it starts to get tedious.Atleast at Bruntingthorpe you got to go inside the cockpit whilst the engines were running in the early days before they had the idea to return to the sky . I'm sure the whole project could have been manged much better. I wonder where XH558 will retire for the second time, maybe some of the other airframes in the UK could have be a better option to return to the sky than XH558?

• 3 months later...

From the vulcan to the sky website:

Everyone - First, I wish you all a Very Happy New Year!

The surprisingly successful fund-raising campaign over the last three months of 2012 reached nearly 95% of its £400,000 target; we are proceeding to take XH558 back to flight for what I expect will be another hugely successful season.

The fund-raising will of course continue. We will be embarking on a new round at the beginning of February, based initially on a new raffle with a fabulous set of prizes.

Many of you will have noted how the press and other media are portraying 2013 as the last display season for XH558.

This is a distortion of what we announced in 2012 - we actually said that we are planning for 2013 to be the last season, because we still don't have any certainty that we can continue flying after this year, and it is only prudent to plan for the possibility we have to stop.

However, with the unanimous agreement of the Board of Trustees, I want to let you all know that it is the absolute determination of the Trust to keep XH558 flying for as long as possible, subject to safety and available finances. The research into the technical requirements to fly on for 2014 is continuing."

Edited By twinstar on 17/01/2013 23:37:44

Edited By twinstar on 17/01/2013 23:38:36