L-16 Conwing (The Sea Duck)

Is there a plan for this plane from the 1990s Disney tv program Talespin?  I would love to fly this plane from my childhood.

http://talespinsourcepage.i8.com/seaduckdiagrams.htm

I know it requires a backstep.  And I also think it can only take electric engines as glow will require a much bigger model.

Any ideas as I'm stumped.  I have looked at plans like the walrus and P-38 Lightining, but wondered if there is a proper plan.

Regards

Iain

Advert

Thats what I'm going to do!  I have some rough sizes, but I think it will just be trial and error.  A guy in Brazil made one on this thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467293

I plan to make it slightly smaller and a bit more detail.  Is Balsa good for floating?  I really do not want ot use foam unless I have too.

Iain

Good man, go for it.

I think you can safely say balsa will float beautifully if you cover/paint it properly. Some ply/light ply reinforcement on the hull may not go amiss though.

What building experience do you have? My son Jonathan & I have been in the hobby about four & a half years & have built several planes, but never taken on a flying boat!

I hope this thread will stimulate further ideas/advice from other more experienced builders for you on how to tackle the project.

What span do you have in mind?

Keith

I have been in the hobby since 2002, but stopped after attending uni for exams and stuff, but hopefully get back into it in the summer.  I joined the AAFC in Aberdeen since I thought a club would be more helpful, and having bought a flat, now further away from my parents 15 acre field.  Just have to get the trainer back in the air and learn some of the basics I'm sure I have forgotton, get the feel back.

I haven't got a lot of experience, but thats why I want to build this plane just to learn what effort is required, learn everything as you go.  I might fix my spitfire first, which had a unfortunate fight with two young puppies, and a mother who decided to leave a door open.

I want the project to be trial and error, I know it can fly.  I won't really be starting till after summer anyway.

I might have a 62" wingspan like my trainer for stability, and also to accomodate the engines and tip floats, but I'll set out a plan and see if a friend can print it off to scale on his big printer thing, he's a articect.

Iain

I really loved this plane when I was younger, and always wanted a model, but there has never been one, a bit like Airwolf.  I was at one point going to buy a damaged Raptor 90 or something, take the engine out and put the airwolf body on it, but never fly it.  But I thought it would be a bit stupid and expensive.

Hopefully I can pull it off.

Gotta start somewhere, why not with something that really appeals to you

Your club mates will be a great source of advice, I'm sure you have people in the club who build.

A couple of things I would say spring straight to mind from what you have said already.

I think a fair bit of flying experience would not go amiss before you atempt to put your own build pride & joy twin in the air.

Your going electric, so keep the weight down. Have a look at the websites for BRC Hobbies & or RCM direct for motors, battery packs etc. I would go brushless with LI-Poly batteries. Look at the stats for the motors etc on the BRC site say & work on the basis of motors that give a combined power of upwards of 100 watts per pound of weight. If you have members in your club who fly off water they may have a better understanding than me of the specific requirements in that area based on the extra drag involved in getting off from water. Perhaps RCM&E's very own MR Ashby might want to chip in here as he fly's off the wet stuff!?

I am kind of guessing but 62" span is probably going to give a weight of 6 to 8 pounds for twin boom/motor!?!

Keith

Thanks for the info.

I started flying myself, but through the years of uni work, I decided I would be better off joining a club.  Some of the guys said they would help with advice, but I want to get the Bronze certificate and learn to fly properly by an instructer.

Weight was something I was going to look into, especially what size motor would give enough power, etc.  It will be a fair old while before I start glueing things together.  I also want to learn about the electrical stuff first, and the best CG.

I just cannot see this plane being glow, petrol or diesel.  I think that positioning the tank will be too hard, and what I can remember, the tank has to be behind the engine.  This would mean an even larger wingspan and model which I don't really want.

But thanks for the advice.

Iain

Hi Ian, I suggest that you have a look at Alasdair Sutherlands website. You have had some good advice already re experience first. I also suggest that if possible you attend one or two of the Waterplane Splash-ins which someone at your club will have the details of, as posted by Colin MacLean.

The line drawings on the link you posted show the propellor arcs to be VERY close to the water surface and likely to hit the suface. Water is not like solid ground it ripples and forms waves, they would also get hit hard by spray. Look at some of the fullsize Flying Boat sites, you will see that most have fairly deep hulls or the engines mounted high

If you E-mail me I can send you this years Splash-in dates.

Good luck with the project though.

Bob

Hi Iain,

Try Googling Monikie Ducks. They used to fly from the reservoir at Monikie during the winter, Monikie is just off the coast road between Arbroath and Dundee. Also, it sounds obvious, but dont forget to use waterproof glue...I had a Piper Cub, that slowly sagged till it was a sort of solartex bag, full of balsa.

ernie 

Garnock Valley Model Aircraft Club

Cairngorm Model Flying Club Index (Welcome) Page

Hi again Iain, try the above links. the Cairgorm one has a list of WATERPLANE EVENTS.

Alasdair Sutherland's info appears to relate mostly to floats, he is a most helpful chap tho' and full of info. You might even get your question/s printed in a magazine  .

He is not an electricery guru though

Bob

Best learn to fly on land first, then if you wish, put floats on your trainer. Got to keep the water out tho' . Good point from Eric, they do mostly need more engine power than is required from runway take-off. A plane which uses a .40 /.46 should be fitted with a .53 for comfort.

Do some looking on the web, there are many video clips of flying off water.

• 4 weeks later...
Just wondering, if I made the keel out of ply, would this make it too heavy?  I made a few drawings while in lectures (I really need to pay more attention) and thought this would make it stronger.  After seeing a DC3 with two glow engines, I'm tempted to go down that road, but I think electric may be safer.

• 1 month later...