Something for indoors

Well it fly`s

I managed to get out with some models today , not the best day of the weekend ,Grey and a little breezy Here in Manchester but still managed to fly lots of my models as did Paul my son .

It flys a lot faster than the foam version which was to be expected due to the extra weight , but it will also fly slow which is a good thing .

I wanted to see how the design would handle extra weight and test out the aerofoil i had design for it as the C of G is a lot further back than a conventional plane i figured that a conventional aerofoil would not suite this type of model as both wings provide the lift and not just the main wing .

I am waiting for the video to up load so it may be tomorrow before it goes live .

But for now i can confirm it flys very well .

lbspecial372a.jpg

lbspecial373a.jpg

Advert

I suppose i should get round to putting some wheels on it now , along with hatch catches .

And maybe a little extra art work who knows i may just scarp it .

As i have done the cad work now and built a new fuselage its a little longer to accommodate the change in C of G it also now has the smooth rounded shape to it .

Thanks Richard ,

"You must be chuffed with the final result?"

To be honest not really its just stepping stones to me i build this sort of thing all the time ,

I remember a friend of mine when he saw one of my previous incarnations fly he was jumping up and  down shouting it flys it flys , when he looked at me he said,  "i would be well chuffed if i was you" , But i was`nt  .

Well ,Maybe a slight grin , ............................ at him jumping up and down like a school Kid .

I am more chuffed about getting cad to work for me , now i can scale my plans to any size i want , alter any parts and better still print the formers out on my own printer . 

When i have finished this one i think i will dig out some of my old ones and cad them .

Yes CAD is great . 

But no i am happy with it .

It does what i set out to do and flys the way i wanted it to .

Edited By Stephen Jones on 08/04/2013 23:35:28

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow is it that time already

Yep indoor flying has started , so i will be getting these ready again , i was hoping to have others ready for a new season but time has sneaked up on me once again .

A Little Bit Special .

dscf0951.jpg

A Tiny Bit Special .

dscf0962.jpg

I have one more Tiny Tiny Bit Special which does not have wheels on to save weight . Me and my son had great fun flying the two of them together playing tag last year. You can guess which one i had to fly .

So i was hopeing to have one more ready by now .......

• 4 weeks later...

foamflea.jpg

foamflea2.jpg

foamflea3.jpg

foamflea4.jpg

As it uses rudder to turn the wings need dihedral to stabilize it .

foamflea5.jpg

The rear wing is a little smaller then the front wing and it is important not to have any overlap of the trialing edge of the front wing over the leading edge of the rear wing .

This was a common mistake in home built flying fleas which caused them to stall out .

And the reason for there bad rep . The fact is they are very stable and forgiving in flight once set up correctly and Tandem wing designs are still being flown today but not the old design that we all think of today .

foamflea5.jpg

Also as the foam wings bend i needed to add the wing supports .

foamflea6.jpg

And i used paint on the body and felt tip pens for the wings .

Edited By Stephen Jones on 11/11/2013 23:32:38