Dazed and confused

A very good afternoon to everyone.

I have a dilemma about which first low wing aerobat to buy. I currently fly a variety of foamies from 600mm span up to 2.3m. My current favourite is a little known 800mm low wing model from Jamara called the Eppler. I like it because it goes where I point it, can be flown slow or fast, flies wonderfully inverted, etc, etc.

My mates at the flying field keep asking me when I'm going to stop playing with toy planes? And, urging me to get a "proper" plane! I think in may respects they are correct, and I do need to move on from my current comfort zone.

Two of my flying companions fly a Kyosho Calmato ST EP and this is what they recommend I buy. To which, they let me fly their planes, and I must say, I was impressed with how easy they were to fly and their smoothness in the air. In addition, I can walk into my LHS and get one with motor, off the shelf for 135.00 Euros. I would then need to add ESC and servos bringing the total near to the 200 Euro mark. So far so good, but I would also need to buy a minimum of two, preferably three, suitable lipos which adds to the cost considerably.

Looking around, two other models take my fancy as I have a number of suitable lipos which would bring the overall cost down considerably. Both are very different from the kyosho. They are:

Acro wot foam-e; RTF @ 185 Euros delivered. And the Hacker Models Extra 330 SC; RTF @ 165 Euros delivered.

I recognise that the three models are totally different in many respects and perhaps I should look at others. However, living in Spain the cost of shipping is often prohibitive.

Of the three models I think the Kyosho may be the best long term bet despite the extra cost. However, I would appreciate the views and suggestions of others before I make a final decison.

Many thanks in advance,

Steve.

Advert

Steve,

1.  You KNOW the Calmato is going to do what you want, AND there are others around who can help with setup.

2. The foamie Wot is a problem child and to be avoided (ducks and runs for cover from the Fossers)

3. If you really want something different, and cheaper to get in the air, buy the Hacker. Its also good.

Edited By Dave Bran on 26/10/2012 16:59:06

Thanks very much for your reply Dave.

You've confirmed my doubts about the Acro Wot; too many niggly little problems it seems.

Now, I'm going to think long and hard about the Kyosho vs the Hacker. As you pointed out, I know how the Calmato flies, and setup would be a breeze with my friends help. Both points in it's favour.

The Hacker would be cheaper by about 80 - 100 Euros in the end, which is a compelling argument in it's favour.

Steve.