Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

Advert

Wow J H 6, thats very fine. I am not as good as that embarrassed. I will be happy with reasonable stand off scale ( from very far away!)

Hope you found the link of interest.

The early post was just before bed at breakfast time...I do a split shift, very odd but it works well with home and model building

• 3 weeks later...

YES... and no. Still waiting for Falcon Aviation on the wings, its no good rushing him as he is busy with other jobs that came in first.

So I have been working on cowl detail and exhausts so pictures will follow. Busy with daughters car at the moment.

Enjoted a break from the build. I am in no hurry just enjoying it but I would like quicker progress now and again when things are not going according to plan.

I like your idea of using copper pipe, I might copy that idea, what size pipe is it?' I've taken a break too, partly because of work I've been in Japan and China for the past week and secondly I've finished the top wing, it was a lot of work and I need inspiration before I start on the bottom one.

It's 15mm copper tube. I'm in no rush ...in fact it's quite nice to potter around the model. Richard is busy at the moment. And with all the weather up in Burnley he has probably lost a few days.

I will post the wing construction when they arrive

Thanks for the continuing interest

Edited By cymaz on 27/01/2013 12:03:52

TISK...TISK....I've now started modifying my Wot4. I have had a few of the trade mark Wot4 tip overs on landing ( these happen at our club if you're not VERY careful/lucky ) due to all the moss and rabbit holes on the strip.

So I've ordered 3 1/2" wheels and am in the process of redesigning the rudder.

I will gladly post pictures if any one wants them.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

after some 20 hours I have finished now first part of one wing crying 2 okay the 3 other parts will be more easier (cause I know now how to build it crook) , but there is still a question left, of angling the part to wing center, yes you will tell me, that the angle is fixed in the parts, but my angle looks like it has a very wide range!

Can anyone advise?!

Andy

Finally got the wings started today. I'm using the Falcon wings and my already built centre sections.

Here are some pictures....slow progress I'm affraid. Only 1/2 a top wing started but dispite the head scratching and a bit of work to get the two to fit it's so much nicer to build that the Precedent stuff.

tilley 001.jpg

tilley 007.jpg

tilley 005.jpg

Very nice Stearman and Cymaz, they certainly do look better quality than the Prezzie bits and bobs.

Must be something in the air today then, since I finally got around to re re re starting mine again lol.

Although hit a bit of a stumbling block though, since its been tucked away in a corner something must have shifted, as when I put it all together, the distance between the 2 wings on the left hand side is 1 inch smaller than that on the right hand side.

Now I am just about to start building the interplane struts, and I am hoping if I make them all exactly the same it should push the left hand side up and lower the right hand side by half inch each therefore making the gap equal, the bottom wing doesn't move when I trial this so am hoping it keeps everything square to the rear end. It does look like its a cabane strut problem, which I wondered about previously, not good parts supplied by Precedent at all.

Ok I have made one interplane strut, its all bound and soldered (not adjustable), but whats the best wasy of laminating the material around the wire work? I am using ply instead of balsa for a bit more strength as it all seems a bit too flimsy for my liking.

I do like the sound of your way of doing things cymaz, but I am trying to stick to the original instructions and plans as much as possible, I know it won't look anywhere near as good as yours, but this is my first scale build and still learning, so don't want to wander too far from the kit this time.

Dylan I get the ali proflie here........always had good service. You have to gently squeeze the end open to get the clevis and nut though then once done close them back up. I then covered the end with black heat shrink and painted it all gloss black. So much simpler than carving wood (which I really hate and will do anything to get out of-and building wings.. urgh).

Make up some small brackets out of brass and fix them to the wing with hex head 3mm bolts and blind nuts. The brackets can also have extra holes to thread the flying wires into. My Rothmans Stampe is all held together by 6 bolts and takes only 10mins to rig up. The inter wing strut wires are threaded through holes drilled into the ali profile. The wire is 100lbs fishing trace wire and the supplied crimps. Will do more pics if you want Dylan

2013-04-18 001 002.jpg

Dylan, bear with me! Doing it this way the interpane struts stay connected to the lower wing and all the flying wires- so they don't get lost. Everything folds flat and the wings slide into cardboard sleeves to protect them.

Upper wing bracket with bracing wire(clevis on other end to lower wing)

dscn0325.jpg

Interplane strut end with clevis that clips intp above bracket

dscn0326.jpg

Interplane set up

dscn0327.jpg

lower wing showing 2 wires that screw into cabane strut bolts

dscn0328.jpg

Lower wing bracket for the clevis ends from top wing wires

dscn0331.jpg

How it is done!

club photos 001.jpg

Edited By cymaz on 16/05/2013 11:18:12

Edited By cymaz on 16/05/2013 11:19:08

thanks cymaz, very very usefull.

Not a very happy bunny today, had the afternoon off so I could use the spray booth at work for the stamp, spent 5 hours spraying, loaded everything into the car, on way home went aroun a corner and the fuz toppled over on top of the top wing, puncturing the covering, wrecking the paintwork on both the wing and fuz, as it was still soft, if only they had let me leave it in situ overnight crying

Edited By Dylan Reynolds on 16/05/2013 16:59:11

Well I decided to put her together and see how she looks so far

922421_10151434395446274_1494683052_o.jpg

922476_10151434379626274_1821089045_o.jpg

966806_10151434376181274_536447059_o.jpg

967325_10151434373936274_1157894500_o.jpg

Really impressed with the Halfrauds Chrome paint on the cowl, not chrome at all but nice ali type finish. Back there tomorrow to stock up on yet more spray cans, I knew I would use a few but sheesh!

Anyway sorry for hijacking, just getting a little excited as its looking good for Greenacres so far cheeky