Clear coat over acrylic problem

stuey

Hi guys. I have recently painted my foamy glassed Eurofighter with some lifecolor acrylic in the correct shade. It goes on well by brush on small areas or sprayed. The issue is when sealing it afterwards. I used an aerosol acrylic matt clear as I was short on time compared to breaking out the airbrush and ronseal matt. I have noticed that the grey has darkened noticeably after adding it. A test using the ronseal has caused the same effect. I am quite cheesed off as the same clear has had no effect on the red white blue on the fin. I noticed this before with matt acrylic greys, but it didnt look wrong before. Is there a way to seal the grey without changing its shade?

Advert

I have tried poly-c in this scenario before, same thing happens unfortunately. I have some Halfords clear lacquer, so I will try that too. I may also try a humbrol satin in the same shade, that wouldnt absorb anything from a top coat hopefully and maintain its colour.

Hi Stuey.Most matt finishes are semi porous and will darken when anything like clear coat is applied.Its what gives the deep gloss to car paint can you get the grey in a satin or gloss finish ? This would stop the sealer coat soaking in and darkening the finish.Alternativley if your model is glassed and no danger to foam why not just paint with halford (or similar) car acrylic/Solvent based acrylic.It might be worth a try to mix some PVA with the acrylic before application . When dry this should seal it and stop it darkening. Worth a try.

That what I was now thinking, the porosity of a matt paint in certain shades must be the issue. Humbrol do the correct shade in enamel and acrylic as a satin. I could also use some car acrylic, as I used grey primer on top of the glass/poly-c.

What it means in the end is sanding back most of the model to repaint, and having to make up some new decals. If its a satin finish they should stick better anyway! Can I be bothered to go to so much trouble though?

Quick update. I bought a tin of Humbrol enamel satin to try out. I brushed it on to my sample plastic sheet, then keyed lightly and added a coat of diamond hard matt. It looked no different to the uncoated section, no change in shade. Seems to prove to me that a satin colour layer is the way forward.

Also, my old waterslide decal paper did stick much better too, although not perfect. I may try some decal fix to see if that works. If only I could go back in time, it feels like I have spent half my life sanding this model down! A project best left til spring unless we have some unseasonal warm weather over winter suitable for spraying!!