Battery help

amberbike

Hello again,i have a ef sabre heli running off the standard 650mah 8.4 nimh battery with standard reciever,gyro,esc & mixer & a 370 brushed motor, is it possible to run this with my twister 11.1v 800 mah li-po battery?,if not what would be a suitable size li-po to use with this set-up if i can use a li-po at all, & could i  use the twister li-po charger with any li-po battery or does it have to be a battery specific charger,any advice would be most welcome. 

Advert

Hi Amberbike ( unusual name ? ) -the closest and safest match in LiPo terms to your 8.4V nickel pack is a 2 cell LiPo, at nominal 7.4V

3s ( 11.1v)  would more than likely push too many amps into your motor and release the magic smoke. The twister charger is designed for 2 cell lipo packs only and will not charge a 3s.

You MUST stop flying as soon as you notice any drop off in the motor speed, as allowing a lipo battery to discharge too far will probably kill it, for ever. 

Hi timbo thanks for replying,(amber is my dog & i own a honda goldwing so my kids came up with nickname)sorry my typeing error forgot to type in (skylift)after twister.so does that mean the lipo charger for my 3 cell 11.1 volt 800 mah battery that came with my skylift is no good to charge a 2 cell lipo that i need?the charger is:input 11.5-12.5V DC output0.8A.

Hi Amberbike, you may be interested in these....

A mate of mine uses one of these lipo chargers from RCMDIRECT that has auto cut off and is very reasonable at £7 if bought with one of their packs. Normal price is £10.99, which is still good value I think. They run off a 12v source and deliver a constant 800maH.

They can charge/balance 2 and 3 cell lipos via the two inputs.

http://www.rcmdirect.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=101_78

Amberbike, once you have the RCMDIRECT charger, you may like to look at the 2 cell lipos on the GIANTCOD website, very reasonable price for our FP helis....

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/lipo-battery-cell-lipo-battery-c-1_113.html?osCsid=7a96cc0fc2e2da0f3145ae22988b97bc

The lower 800mah pack for £6.17 will be much lighter than the current Nimh pack you're using and give a longer duration.

Cheers.