Hobby and kids

Major

Hi all.

I am proud to say I'm father of two little monsters. Julia is three years old, Aleksander is nearly two (just four days left). I must say, that planes fill much of their short lifetime, Julia i.e recognizes the Spit, Concorde, Vulcan, Corben, Sharkywink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. and BF-109, Alex likes to "work" on his very damaged Piper.

Here is the pic with my Corben

gcjtydity.jpg

A few days back we went to Moor Park in Preston. Now it is very close (new house), so didn't want to miss the chance to have some flying. For me I had PZ Spit, for kids Sharkface with Cox Golden Bee up front. First I flew the Spit to warm myslef up, after that - allowed kids to take a little controll. Basically - I controlled plane, and kids were just holding fingers on the stick. Julia did quite well, she listened to what I say, flight was normal. My lady recorded short vids, quality is poor, but in this case - it's not the flight I want to share.

Julia's turn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eISyYXLzvQM

Aleksander was much different at the sticks. I had to fight him to keep the control during whole flight, at the end he won anyway. I tried to save Sharky, but my boy fought so hard with medevil ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. Sharky grounded from good altitude, no damages to plane/persons/animals occurred. I have vid as well, but after upload - plane dissappears just seconds before crash, so let's skip this one...

It was perfect time out and kids want more now. I am happy they get on with planes so well. But how do you share hobby with kids?

Cheers
Tom

PS. I don't know why quality is that bad - on my computer it looks much better...

Edited By Major on 07/11/2012 03:44:58

Advert

Mike

I do want to allow my kids to have wide horizons. Use of tools/computer/whatever - I try do show them the most. Modelling is great for them as it requires skills, and at first - it requires brain... They use computer (well, Julia does) for pleasure, but it is strictly limited, as they have to do a lot of painting/drawing, help me in the workshop etc.

CSB

I'd like to see them in next ten years or so, still fascinated in planes...

i too have young kids that interested, i just give them any scrap balsa and a hot gue gun then let them do there own thing , ofcourse i watch them i dont just give them the swann morton, i also got them a vapour and a mcpx they have been broken a few times but so what they can fly now , i totaly agree with posting about x box thats no good for kids .

I tried with both of mine - boy now 19, girl nearly 17. Owen is has many talents but a pre-disposition to things technical is not one of them! He also hates getting his hands dirty! Laura, does like technical stuff - and indeed on giving each of them a go at flying a couple of times, she has displayed more natural ability as a pilot - but she's simply not that into planes as a subject. They both come down to the field sometimes - but mainly to just be with Dad, sit in the sun and read a book!

BEB

Ben - my kid's favourite tool is hobby drill. With that they utilised a lot of balsa scrap. My son is also crazy about engines/motors with props. Not long ago he soaked one of my motors in glow fuelcheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.... This situation and one accident (Julia cut her finger with knife) allowed me to learn something - if kids are quiet, have to check it out NOWwink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page., cause in a minute it'll be too late.

BEB - at least Your kids read books. The most of my mates and most young people in general don't.

My lad came to the field quite a few times when he was younger but was more interested in kicking his ball around than seeing Dad's plane fly. The regulars' said "that's because you don't look like you're about to crash" - wasn't sure whether to take that as a compliment, or a dig that my flying was boring laugh

BBC

Well, it was the first time we did it, and honestly I was a bit affraid of the effect. And my lady happened to record this vid - we are both criminals thenblush ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.wink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..

Ian - When I started to fly my lady was curious, after few times she told me that I "don't need supervisor to stand next to me and hold my hand"... So I guess for her it is boring.

My two (9 & 6) have a passing interest but not that much.....the eldest is actually a member of my club & has flown on a buddy box a few times.....like most youngsters of his age he seems to suffer from a Goldfish attention span......

They both have RC boats & RC Buggies that they love racing around with.....Dad is sponsor & chief mechanic but as they get older I hope they will take more of an interest in taking them apart & fixing them....if I'd had an RC Buggy at their age I would have taken it apart "to see how it works" several times by now....teeth 2

Major you might like to look at the Reality Craft simulator......its pretty cheap (£22) & my kids love flying the various models......simulator crashes are very wallet friendly too...thumbs up

Eck

there is absolutely no technique in this launchwink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. I don't know - maybe I had enough flights to get use to it, or it's just lack of attention. The only thing I do before hand launch is in fact elevator trim on my Spit, to avoid another crash straight after launch - at about half throttle elevator has to be set pointing a little downwards (it's a bit tail heavy plane) to maintain level flight. One crack like this will do for mecheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..

Steve

in case of my kids it's a little diffrent. Julia will do anything to work with me on my planes. Sometimes it is hard to tell her, that i.e. I won't let her sand fairings. She can't wait till we finish Corben. I promissed her this plane as a gift with my Optic and she keeps asking when it's gonna be RTF. From other side Aleksander spends most of the day with scrap Piper and old Tx that came with it. Sometimes it makes me tired, as he wants to hold Tx and play with sticks, while I have to walk with the plane round the house and make "engine sounds"wink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. As to the sim - I tried with Julia very simple one (came with Piper as well) and she couldn't get on with it. With the real noisy thing it was much better. And this particular Sharky is almost crash-proof, so they can use it. Of course everything might change with their age, but I'll do my best to keep them intrested.

In general - there is lot of things going round the planes - sometimes one is against another, but the experience is awesome.

I certainly am fascinated with planes, I live and breath them (literally, there are two unfinished planes in my room at the moment, but I build them in the FREEZING shed)! And my Funfly fuselage was built in my bedroom, on the desk! The room was full of plywood/balsa off-cuts and balsa dust!

Basically all my friends at school have an xbox or playstation- I don't, and I don't want one. While my friends get 'Fifa' games and 'Halo' (some sort of fighting game?) I got servos, a receiver, an eneloop battery and books, mostly about planes! And I was absolutely delighted! My other interests- F1, sailing, automotive and aerospace engineering (mainly aerospace), Airfix, Scalextric and I have an interest in Steam engines, I must build my kit one at some point. I do enjoy playing sports as well. I like to think I am different!smiley

I hope your children continue with the hobby, it brings sooooo much more joy than gaming in my opinion. It is also good for them, it improves their reaction times, good to for eyesight and coordination, and if IC a very good knowledge of internal combustion engines and a knowledge of electrical circuits in any RC plane (although a lot my knowledge of that is from Scalextric!), knowledge of flight and forces of motion. And when building there is construction techniques and your problem solving skills are enhanced.

I love this hobby, so versatile, brilliant fun AND educational, and the huge satisfaction. There can be crashes which can disappoint, but then I just think 'Hmm, how can I repair this' or 'what to build next'! So it also helps with resilience! These are real functioning aeroplanes, not metal discs with 'Fifa' written on it.

That's my view anyway! I hope you continue to enjoy it with your children, some of my best memories are from model flying and I can pretty much guarantee that I will have many more in another 5 years or so.

CS

most/not all are interested in their electronic gear......over the years i've seen a few appear at our club site.....including my own son......but most want to lock themselve's away in their cave's and contact the outside world via their electronic gizmo's.....it's a different world nowerdays.....the average age at our club(circa 100+) members must be in the 50's....i'm one of the only one's left with both my hip's intact.......

ken anderson....ne..1..... hip's intact dept.....

I certainly am fascinated with planes, I live and breath them

In our house it looks pretty much the same. There is absolutely no days without planes mentioned or visit to the workshop... And it might be funny sometimes, as when we speak, my answers (in common with aircraft) re almost automatic. Like today, Julia was playing in the bathroom ald left some water on the floor. Later my lady goes there and asks me why the floor is wet. "I don't know, my pitot tube is long enough to reach"embarrassed ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. She asks what the pitot tube is, after short explaination she says "I shouldn't ask"cheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..

For my kids it might be too early to get into electronics or IC things, but Julia know how plane turns and climbs/descends and can explain it on the model. They don't have life without aircraft, but what can I do? I am maniac and moreover - kids love it!

Ken

escape to the web might be very relaxing and "healing" sometimes... But as You say - very few young people know what it feels like to read books under the blanket with flashlight, so parents can not see it. The great amount doesn't play football, ride bikes etc. I even know some guys in my age (25) that can't use screwdriver!! I don't want my kids to grow in "things" like these guys.

My 10 year old has been a few times with me but soon looses interest. He is pretty good on the sim and follows instruction well, unfortunately he is not interested in landing and just slams them into the deck when he has had enough.

Now my younger son who is 2 in a weeks time absolutely loves coming to the field. He constantly points at the planes and gives a great ready steady go at takeoff time.

Our new Sunday eve thing is to watch people flying on you tube and he gets very exited , it is great to see.

I am looking forward to the warmer weather when we can take him for a day with a picknic and he can see dad doing his thing on the sticks. I have high hopes for this little chap and would love to teach him in the future.

I have a xbox for which I do play Halo and enjoy it but my flying hobby comes first.

I service my own car and while carrying it out my daughter appears and says give me some tools and show me what to do. She did a good job.

As I type she is soldering the 4mm's to her speed controller for her boat. Ok she is a teenager but I am proud of her.

My son has no intrest in cars or flying. But he is into making maps for halo and making youtube videos which he is very good at, so of course I am also proud of him