Sticking foamies together

Gents,

Im just about at my wits end after wasting 30 quid on cyano's and all I've managed to do is stick my fingers together and disolve the fabric of my "Divo" biplane. What am I doing wrong... the bottles of glue say they are "foam safe" but it doesn't seem to be the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advert

The problem is that many activators/accelerators/kickers for cyanoacrylate adhesives are not safe on foam, many claim to be safe on foam but are not

Companies (who arent manufacturers of adhesives) often just buy in a cheapo industrial activator, dollop a bit on  foam and when it doesnt melt it ( as the solvents are safe on foam ) ,  they stick `foam safe `  on the label.....

The problem is that 99.9% of then use an active ingredient that does melt foam in use with a cyano, it also causes great exothemic reaction when curing , so both the heat and the chemical contents will melt foam ( generaly inside the bondline )

This is why StarLoc / FiveStar adhesives make 3 activators , the std non whitening one  that is not for use on foam, the superfast `Faster Blaster` and the foam safe activator,

both the fasterblaster and the foamsafe kicker dont melt foam when liquid but the only safe one to use with a cyano on foam is the foamsafe one due to different active ingredient

Another problem is.. if the glue gets too hot as it sets,...the glue will dissolve more foam the hotter it gets... making the `foam safe` cyano `not so foam safe` if the wrong activator is used

(its like dissolving sugar in water, the hotter it gets the more you can dissolve in to a solution and the faster it dissolves)