Dragon Dancer 2

Hi Peter, Ron,

Would it be possible please for you to give me an AUW of JUST the wing complete please?

I am trying to maintain a target weight for two wings i am building for mates as i explained in an earlier post. But now one is going electric and the other nitro. When i am happy with these two then i will begin to build my own. I hope this way i will overcome any mistakes i have made.

Thank you

Advert

HI David

As you can see from the photos I did do some seriouse weight shedding, even on the fuselage.The wing complete with two 17g servos comes out at 501g, the whole plane with 3s 2200mha battery comes in at 1339g about 2.9lb's. It does have plenty of power though I'm using smallish prop. I've only flown it five times and each time in pretty strong winds, as is the norm these days. yes I am more than pleased with it.

Thank you Peter/Ron for the help. Yes i am heading in the right direction weight wise. I am using "new power" 17g metal servos (at a very good price from local dealer friend) The wing i am building for a mate going to use nitro is coming out at about 16 ounces without film. The one i am building for an electric mate is about 13 ounces at the moment without film so feeling happy about that. Thank you.

Both are foam laminated wings and both really strong which i thought they would be due to other results i have had in the past.

My own i will build with nitro power and due to not being able to get into the workshop due to rain at the moment. (anyone out there not had any????) I am building a small depron "baby dragon dancer 2" in the kitchen to take a motor from a ripmax MX2 i piled in a few months ago and bought a new one.

Thank you both for your help.

Hi David, I'm interested in your laminated foam wing construction method,could you give a short description and/or show a few photo's on how you go about making them and what materials you use please as I do like to experiment. Being fairly new to the hobby I do tend to loose planes quite often crook so any different method of building is always welcome. Thank you.

Hi Ron, yes of course i will for you. I will be able to publish some photos on here at the weekend due to i have now finished covering what i have and i didn't take any pics at the time, but i find it very easy, very strong and very light. Also i am working strange hours until the weekend now, but will do for you.

To just explain a little how i do it.

I make them in sections of the wing using my balsa profiles to cut with the hot wire cutter. As with any wing using two templates each side to cut my main balsa profiles, then i use copydex very thinly spread to stick the profiles on each side of the poly. Cut around them and you have perfect wing sections.

These i then stick together with thin copydex to build the whole wingspan keeping it weighed down as i go. I have found this so easy to do because for instance like on the DD2 the area where the servos are seated can be worked on very easy because it is just a small section on my board. Also once the parts are together if you feel you wish to take out more of the foam you can cut it out so reducing weight even more but still remaining strong before you laminate it.

I have used this method many times in my past and had such good results. They have never suffered warping when filming and can take a really good knock. They feel really firm and strong.

I know many people say if you use foam laminated you are adding weight, but in my experience and with wings i have built in the past i have found its either lighter and stronger or just the same. Put it this way, i have never had one snap in flight.

I then glue on my trailing and leading edges and laminate with sheet. at first they seem heavy when laminating but the copydex dries to next to nothing when the liquid has gone. Then fill and rub down.

I spent a long time trying to get this right in the past studying how other people do this and trying to improve on it. I am a CNC engineer so i enjoy trying new ideas and making things easier if it can be done.

You would be very surprised if you made a simple sport profile wing out of Depron then laminated it with very thin veneer balsa when filmed just how strong it really is and how light.

I will try and get something on here for the weekend for you.

Hi David

Now you have explained your method I have seen it done on youtude and other blogs. My ex Gangster 63 wing was constructed that way now I think about it and they survived flying through a picket fence but the rest of the plane did'nt. I have been thinking about making up a hot wire cutter, and now you have spured me on. I am the same with taking photos, I get so carried away with the build and forget to photograph the different stages, I would like to see what photos you have taken so far.

• 2 months later...

Actuually it has been covered on another thread.

The cockpit floor as shown ends at the former and then another piece behind the former back to the rear of the cockpit. One could dop the top ofthe former and make it one piece all the way.

Can't remember why I did it that way but I must have had a reason.