Precedent Turbulent Build

Devcon1

Here's my Precedent Turbulent build with Frise Ailerons, two peice wing and removable Stabilisor. I'll post some Fuz pictures and assembly photos next time.

I aquired it with the cowl and fuselage built but the wing ,tail feathers and everything else untouched

Kind Regards

SGTG

SBTGp1030920.jpg

p1030921.jpg

p1030922.jpg

p1030924.jpg

p1030927.jpg

p1030931.jpg

p1030932.jpg

p1030933.jpg

p1030934.jpg

p1030935.jpg

p1030936.jpg

p1030942.jpg

p1030939.jpg

p1030943.jpg

p1030945.jpg

p1030946.jpg

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 01/04/2013 15:30:15

Advert

• 1 month later...

a split wing is so useful. To the point that now I will avoid one pice wing models.

A removabe stabalizer is not so necessary and is normally not needed for the average trip to the field. But it comes into it own on some occations such as longer term storage or a longer trip (ie makes it alot easyer to fit into a full car on holiday trips ect.) It makes the model less fragile for transport for moving house (something I do often due to work.). I think it can potentially increase the life of the model

quality work so far. I am looking forward to see how you build the tail

• 2 months later...

p1030994.jpg

p1030998.jpg

p1030997.jpg

p1040001.jpg

p1040002.jpg

ardsp1030987.jpg

Hi, Slow progress due to a few Christmas builds but I'm back on the Turbulent full time now.

Latets pics shows the elevator bellcrank mechanism which allows for removal of tailplane and auto engagement of elevator linkage.

Undercarrige is done and I now have an ASP 160 FS twin so engine fitting to commence.

Trying to source a 1/3 scale pilot or look at scratch making.

Regards

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 01/04/2013 15:33:28

Sorry, forgot to give a few details.

1: Slotted bellcrank is made from 1/32 laminated ply

2: Clevis is cut and shaped from an old GRP engine mount

3: The black rods that carry the connector pin are old Multiplex all moving tailplane alignment jigs

4: The bellcrank sits on an alluminium bearing tube

5: The pushrod connects directly to the servo about 10 inches forward of the TP leading edge

Kind Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting modification, thanks for posting the pics and the detail. Looking at the tailplane fixing bolts I guess the fin will have a seperate fixing too, look forward to seeing how you do this and the rest of the build as it progresses.

Regards

Hi, Very interested in your posting on the Turbulent. I am building the President Turbulent right now and am at the stage of building the ailerons. Do you have any scale drawings that I could use to help me build the frise ailerons as you have.

I wish I had split my wing as you have but its too late now as it's already built.

Look forward to your reply

Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

p1040028.jpg

p1040027.jpg

p1040026.jpg

p1040025.jpg

p1040024.jpg

p1040023.jpg

p1040022.jpg

p1040021.jpg

p1040020.jpg

Hi Graham

Sorry I missed your post, here are some more photos of the build. I did do some drawings but only to work out the hinge points.

I'll post a more detailed description of how I went about with some better picks for reference over the weekend.

How far have you got with yours ?

Kind Regards

John

p1040018.jpg

p1040019.jpg

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 01/04/2013 15:35:16

Hi Woody 49,

Sorry I missed your earier question, whilst the elevator will be removable for extended transport the Fin and Rudder will be fixed as I never seem to break rudders during transport and storage, only the stabilisor.

Regards

John

Hi John,

I have also made my tail plain removable I had some right angle aluminium and made semi scale brackets as per the full size. I have been working on the hinges (design) but as yet I am not confident with them I have seen hinges that come straight though and hinge inside the aileron so will look at this option. I only have the ailerons and slats to build now and I can start the covering.

Thanks for your support

Graham

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your interest, have you any photos of yours.

How did you do the elevator linkage on yours and what are you powering it with.

Just got myself a 1/3 scale pilot of Ebay so it's all starting to come together.

Regards

John

Hi Pete, David

No problem. I didn't realise I had to do anything else, I just uploaded each photo in turn and assumed the system did the rest, I'll try and find the tutorial that spells it all out.

I'll master this web thing sometime soon....

Regards

Johnyes

Hi Graham,

Been thinking about your post and have decided to add some faux stabilsor mounts made from alloy plate to replicate the original, thanks for the input.

My plan is to fullfill a longtime ambition and fly at this years Nat's.

Regards

John

Hi John,

Thanks for your new postings. I wish I could put some pictures on but I don't have a clue on how to do this. My tail plain is not meant to be removed for transport but more for ease of building and covering. I made the brackets from some aluminium right angle I had. I copied a picture of the full size but guessed on size. the brackets are screwed to the fus and captive nuts are mounted between ribs to screw the tail plain on. I used a snake (Golden Rod) mounted down the centre of the fus and the threaded wire attached to the elevators as per plan. This system does mean that you have to remove the link at the servo in order to remove the tail plain so is not as useful as your system. I am progressing with the hinges on the ailerons to a point that I have made some hinges using aluminium and 3mm rivets. These I hope to fit into the ailerons on some ply ribs with the pivot point at the centre of the false leading edge I have made out of rolled 1/16 sheet and formers. Hopefully this will give an aileron that will pivot around the existing trailing edge of the wing. The model is powered by a 4-Max 1500W motor driven by 4.5Ah 8s lipo. using a 14 x7 prop. I made a hatch to fit the lipo's and they fit snugly were the tank wood normally go.

I haven't used ic motors for some years as the electrikery seem to work best for me as just a club flier.

Thanks for your interest

regards

Graham.

• 6 months later...

Latest Progress

Covered and painted,

Jobs left to do.

Cockpit

Windshield

Cowling to be painted

Find the proper spinner and wheels

Final detailing, weathering and fuel proofing.

Regards

John

p1040680.jpg

Cowling Still to be painted

p1040681.jpg

Work soon to start on cockpit.

p1040682.jpg

Oleos covered in electric heat shrink tube over plastic tube over a balsa inner, wire covered by heatshrink tube

p1040684.jpg

Hatch under Reg no is for access to Elevator Servo.

p1040687.jpg

Pilot is soon to be detailed, I have a Perfect Pilots 1/3 Harness ready to go in.

p1040688.jpg

Another Cockpit View. Alloy tube framed windshield is planned.

p1040690.jpg

Rudder fairing made but not fitted.

Sorry I forgot to add, this is the one I have to finish before I can start my Barnstormer Mass Build...

Edited By savedbytheground on 19/10/2013 16:15:21

Edited By savedbytheground on 19/10/2013 16:22:08

• 5 months later...

Frame made and bent.

p1050180.jpg

The straight ally strip was annealed by smearing in Imperial Leather then heating on a gas ring until the soap turns black, allow it cool then I used a pizza tray to form the bend.

p1050181.jpg

Annealing repeated ready for final adjustments.

p1050182.jpg

Cardboard template for final shaping.

p1050184.jpg

Finished curve with the burnt soap washed off.

John

• 2 months later...

Hi Michel,

I have the plans that I built mine from, they are cut into the various parts and quite large. I'm not sure how I would get them copied and what the copyright issues would be, I'll have a look into it for you. It may take some time as I have just moved house and things are a bit chaotic.

Regards

John